Blossom end rot

Menahga, MN(Zone 3b)

I grow my tomatoes in homemade grow boxes, and have had great success....until this year. The plants were huge and like a jungle, but not too many tomatoes, and now they have a lot of BER. I thought perhaps I had used a fertilizer with too much nitrogen, and that kept the needed calcium at bay. But now a number of other area gardeners are complaining about the very same thing. We had a very hot summer, but other than that, I can't think of why we would have this problem. Any answers out there?

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Ollie, I knew there were lots and lots of threads here about BER so did a search and here's the results:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/search.php?q=blossom+end+rot&submit=+Search+forums+

Choose the ones that are noted as appearing in the Tomato Forum and I'm sure it will help.

Carolyn, who suggests that you read more than one of those threads since some have to do with earthboxes and some with inground plants.

Menahga, MN(Zone 3b)

Oh, my goodness, thank you, Carolyn........

Menahga, MN(Zone 3b)

Well, this is a few weeks later, and the BER seems to have disappeared. Now I have lovely big healthy ripe ones. Since others here are getting nice fruit now, too, I am assuming it was the weather.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.