My Rose Of Sharon hybrids (photos)

West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

I let my many Rose Of Sharon varieties naturally cross pollinate, and here are some of the best looking ones. More will be added as they bloom.

This is a cross of one white rose of sharon that had red lines on its its petals, with a normal pink flower. The offspring has white outer petals, but towards the inside of the flower each petal has light pink-reddish coloring, almost like a blushing flower. :)

Thumbnail by keithp2012
Tipp City, OH(Zone 5b)

Very pretty!

New York, NY(Zone 7a)

Those are lovely. I have lots of seedlings beneath my ROS "White Chiffon", most of which were probably the result of crosses with the self-sowing lilac and pinkish ROS that are everywhere in New York City backyards. The newest ones are most likely to be white, though I don't expect any to look like White Chiffon.

I'm lucky enough I have one maroon colored double petaled variety that recently sold are mostly sterile producing little or no seed, but my plant is over 20 years old and is the type that produces viable seed, so im keeping lots of seedlings that plant pollinated! I may get some crazy combos from it!

New York, NY(Zone 7a)

I love the "blushing" effect of the flower in your first post!

Here's a lavender/white cross, the color is basic, but the flower is half the normal size and the petals have a spiky kind of look to them, they were not bitten and the bud was unharmed, a weird type of petal I guess.

Thumbnail by keithp2012

Here's a sibling to the first one, this has faint red. My candycane ROS so far is a fail havent been able to replicate the red striping. Pretty flower anyway.

Thumbnail by keithp2012
Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

They are gorgeous. Love the lavender/white one. ;) I have one, 'Diane' that always brings a smile to my face when I see the blooms.
If you don't mind, one comment. These are RoS cultivars, not hybrids. A hybrid is a cross between two different species or genus. Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine.....;)

Evanston, IL

I also do some hybridizing of Rose of Sharon. Here are pictures of a couple that bloomed this year. The first one has a unique eye. The second one has a very nice texture on the petals.

Thumbnail by Jacob22 Thumbnail by Jacob22

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.