Help with info on some daylilies

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Hello,
I am looking for any info you guys can give me about some daylilies I am thinking of purchasing. I have a list and would like any info on them if any of you have any of these daylilies. They are a not expensive or fancy, but I am trying to get some August blooms in my garden. These daylilies are supposed to be MidLate blooming. So was just wondering if they actually are that late blooming or not. And do you like them in your garden? Good bloomer, good increase? Things like that. Any and all help appreciated! Pictures would be very helpful too if you have them. Thanks again,
Sherry

All American Magic
Angel Rodgers
Aztec Firebird
Black Ambrosia
Bold Symphony
Caboose
Cameroons Twister
Carved Cameo
Cherokee Pass
Concert Tour
Frilly Bliss
Good Intensions
Harlem Nocturne
Holiday Joy
International Delight
Kama Sutra
Lizards Midnight Star
Long Summer Days
Oakes Love
Rosey Lights
Silver Tip
Up Tempo
Yabba Dabba Doo

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

From my own experience with dl's, I think you need to just try them and see how they do for you. The various cultivars can vary in their performance from one geographical area to another. The ones I have "sort of" measure up to the purported bloom times listed by the suppliers, but not always. Then again, our weather is never consistent at all, so I never know when a lot of them will or won't bloom.
SOME of mine bloom like clockwork from year to year at the same times, other's don't.
SOME dormant's will grow for me, many definitely will NOT, sadly.

Try looking up the ones you listed in the PlantFiles and see how many of them can vary depending on where they're growing. Many of the entries there will be from different states and you can see how different some of them can be.

So many factors can affect their color, bloom times, and performance: Soil type, duration of sunlight, temperature, watering, etc. etc.

I started out with older inexpensive varieties that seemed to be "tried and true" and wasn't disappointed. It's a trial and error venture, for sure...as are most things having to do with gardening.

The best thing about dl's is that with over 70,000 (and probably more) cultivars, you're bound to find just the right ones that will work for you. This forum is excellent for getting feedback from all over the country.

Hi Sherry, I am not familial with any of those you mentioned evethough I have 66 hybrids. Here is a link that I go to before I purchase a daylily.

http://www.daylilydatabase.org/

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I don't have any of those, sorry. Oops, I do have Rosy Lights and it does very well here in Michigan.

This message was edited Aug 28, 2012 7:03 AM

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

I grow Cameroon's Twister, this photo is from July 15th last year. Great increaser and nice and tall

I also grow Black Ambrosia. This photo is from the end of July in a prior year. Hasn't increased all that much in several years. But it's a nice dark one and I enjoy it

Thumbnail by Seedsower Thumbnail by Seedsower

HI Sandy: Thought you would be interesting in seeing the result of your cross BEDOVIN TATTOO X UNTANGLE MY EMOTIONS. First blooms this year. Darn didn't mean to repeat the same photo.

edited to correct name

Lilly

This message was edited Sep 6, 2012 5:41 AM

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by
Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

Hi Lily

Thanks for posting! I believe the cross would be Bedouin's Tattoo x Untangle My Emotions :)

That's an interesting looking flower. It could look a lot different next year. Thanks again!

Sandy,
I looked again and you are correct as far as the name. Have more of your seed sown seedling. All didn't bloom this year. Should next year.

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5a)

This was a strange year. Lemon bloomed in late March and is blooming again on September 5. First time it ever rebloomed. I have Going Bananas blooming, and Red Squirrel. I have one I got called Late Orange that usually blooms in early September but it bloomed in late July early August this year. Android and Burgundy Shadows are purple late bloomers that do well for me. Kama Sutra is by Hanson and he is my favorite hybridizer.

West Newfield, ME

Sherry,

There are alot of late and very late bloomers available. I have over 250 of them and am happy that I do. It really extends the daylily season. To search for lates go to the AHS Database here: http://www.daylilies.org/DaylilyDB/?advanced . When you get to that page click on Late and Very Late next to Bloom Season. If you want to narrow the search down even more you can tell it that you only want to see semi-evergreens and Dormants. There's a whole list you can check off. Good luck!

Lisa
West Newfield, Maine
zone 5a

Normal, IL

Yabba Dabba Doo does great in Central Illinois, and blooms in June. Planted on the east side where does not receive any sun after 2 pm.

Alexandria, OH

Hi Sherry,

I agree with Redunicorn. Curt Hanson's daylilies have excellent plant habit. A huge portion of his lates are due to the fact that he refuses to use pesticides and his later season daylilies are super healthy and get crossed more to make seed. Check his website www.crintonic.com.

Sunny

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Sherry, I have YABBA DABBA DO, and it's a stinker in my gardens. Going to try moving it to a sunnier spot and see what happens. Don't have any pics.

I also have HOLIDAY JOY, and that's a real pretty one. This year is bloomed starting the last week of July, but everything bloomed about 2 weeks early this year. AUGUST FLAME, which generally starts here the first week of August, started blooming at the same time HOLIDAY JOY bloomed. Here are some pics of HJ. AF is a really good one for August color here, as is AUTUMN MINARET (that one's really tall, too), CHALLENGER, GOODBYE-COLUMBUS, ASIATIC PHEASANT, WILSON SPIDER, SWAMP YANKEE, AUTUMN KING, etc.

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Wow! Thanks to everyone for all the info! It gives me a lot to look up and think about.

JasperDale, Thank you! I do have many already but finding I need some later blooming daylilies. Don't have enough money to just keep trying different ones. That's why I'm kinda looking for how certain ones are performing for others before I take the plunge! LOL Thanks.

blomma, Thank you for the very helpful link.

hemlady, Thank you for that info!

redunicorn, Thank you so much! I will look up some of those you mentioned.

Sunny, the daylilies at his site are beautiful, but out of my price range. :( Especially when you need several.

Karen, that Holiday Joy is really, really pretty. That might be one to consider. Thanks!

onegoodman1955, Ooops, I thought Yabba Dabba Doo was a late bloomer. I have lots blooming already in June, so that won't work. Need more like August blooms.

Bourret, Thank you! That link is very helpful!

Seedsower, Thank you for the pictures and info on them!

I really appreciate all your input!
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl

Hi Sherry
To my surprise, I noticed my REGAL BRAID (Stamile 1995) Dormant tet producing more buds. It began blooming July 26, then in August 2, September 1, now again with several buds. The photos are from September 24. I had saved some pollen from all my Daylilies to pollinate with. Maybe too late in season but worth a try due to cooler weather. I have never had DL bloom this late before. This is a new one purchased last year from Blueridge.

The buds were produced on a new fan so not considered a rebloomer. All my othe DL have long finished blooming and pods---what few I got---have been harvested.

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Blomma, happy for you and the reblooms.
Sherrygirl, that's a nice garden shot. Someone has been working hard in your garden. LOL!!
I planted Yabba Dabba Doo in spring of 2011. So far no blooms, but, the fans have increased. Next year look very promising as I anticipate the NONE BLOOMERS to bloom. (smile)

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

You're welcome, Sherry! Glad I could help. Your gardens are pretty. Will look nice with some later color. I have been trying to add more late ones myself, as well as more early ones.

Blomma, so nice that one has bloomed for you for so long. I had it, and it never bloomed for me like that.

Nice flowering tobacco, Mike! I have one, and I just love it. It has bloomed all summer for me. It even survived last winter, and it's only supposed to be hardy to zone 7, however we did have a very mild winter last year. Maybe it will die this winter, though I'm hoping to get some seedlings from it. It's supposed to self seed freely, but I didn't get any seedlings this year.

Karen

I went on the Lily Auction to look at seeds. One struck my fancy so clicked to see the ploidy. Unknown was the notation. Well, how can a seller cross DL and not know that important information, I wondered. Went on AHS for informantion about one that is listed as the pollen parent named Blue Royale (Eustace, 2012)

The information below was stated in AHS website for Blue Royale. What does it mean? The photo the seller used is the same as on the AHS website.

"ICNCP rules require that we withhold the description until checklist publication in 2013"

Makes me wonder if the seller is dishonest. I sure wouldn't take the chance buying anything from him. If the discription is withheld, how can the seller even have the plant to cross with?

Karen, it is still blooming. It may just be a once in a lifetime thing. But hope not. So far crossed 3 flowers with saved pollen. Too early to tell if it took.

Lilly

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Will be interesting to see the results.

What is the pod parent for those seeds? Are they being sold by the hybridizer of BLUE ROYALE? I could not find that one on Tinker's or through Google. If it's a 2013 intro, maybe that's why. If you have the pod parent, you could look up the ploidy of that one. Or just ask the seller directly. They must know. I don't see why they wouldn't, as they're the ones who did the cross.

Karen

Karen
I can't find the seed listing, but found a closed listing for the same. Below is the link. There is no info on the cultivar until 2013 so how can the seller add info, or even sell this fan of Blue Royale. I bet the buyer who paid $49.75 will not get that daylily. Below is the link to LA.

http://www.daylily.com/cgi-bin/auction.cgi?closed&cultivarsaintros1343611380

Here is the link to AHS database on Blue Royale.

Karen,
I found another DL today while cleaning up for the winter that is producing a bud branch. It is BETTER YET (Joiner 2003) It is a reblooming double. Semievergreen. It has bloomed every month since July. Also harvested a seed pod. Photo below. Purchased it from Blueridge in 2011. It is a must have.

Lilly

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by
Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Sherrygirl - I LOVE your garden area. That is gorgeous!

Blomma,

ICNCP is: International Code of Nomenclature for Cultivated Plants (ICNCP, Cultivated Plant Code) regulates the names of cultigens (plants whose origin or selection is primarily due to intentional human activity).[1] For the most part, these are plants with names in the classification categories cultivar, Group and grex, the classification categories within the scope of the ICNCP (as specified in the 2009 version).

There is info at AHS as to what all that entails. Here is the URL

http://www.daylilies.org/AHSregister.html

Hope that helps some.

Linda

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, I'm guessing BLUE ROYALE is a pending registration for 2013. Its parentage is Tetraploid, so the seeds would be the same. Was there a picture listed with that auction?

That BETTER YET is a really nice one. I hope you get to see it bloom before you get a freeze.

Karen

Karen, here is the link to the same photo that the seller used. It is a beautiful flower. It states that information is being withheld until publication in 2013]

http://www.daylilydatabase.org/detail.php?id=170207&name=Blue Royale

My question is, does the seller have the right to sell it whether plant or seed. As far as seed, how can they be available? I almost bid on it until I checked with AHS. Unfortunately, I wouldn't know until next year when it blooms if you got the right plant or not.

He started the bidding at $1.00. It went for $49.75.

l2le, Thanks for the info.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Wow! Gorgeous plant! I would bid, too. Going for a cheap price. I think the seller has the right to sell it if said seller is the hybridizer who is introducing it. If not, I would hope they have permission from the hybridizer.

Karen

Karen, now you know why I was interested. It sure is a beauty. Researching more, he is not the hybridizer. Also, there is quite a few sellers on LA that is selling plants of BLUE ROYALE. I don't understand how seeds can be sold (not to mention plants) of it when details of it won't be released until 2013.

Am I beign paranoid?

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Blomma, it doesn't hurt to be cautious! I am guessing that these are people in the hybridizers inner circle that had first dibs on the plant. Only the hybridizer or someone close could confirm that.
Not sure if you can reach him here. http://www.mydaylilies.com/user-profile/1899-richard-eustace

Thanks Mike, I decided to play it safe and not buy.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I would have to agree with Mike. He could be right that those sellers on the LA are friends of the hybridizer. See if you can contact the hybridizer and see what's up. It is a gorgeous flower.

Karen

Karen, I lost interest for this year. I have enough seedlings from 2009 2010 and 2012 to keep me busy. Not to mention 144 iris seedlings. Then there are my seeds.......

Got a dusting of snow. Frost last night. More snow to come. Garden season is definetely over for this year.

Lilly

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I bought some of Jamie Gossard seeds with future intros in them. He wasnt selling them, but he had given them to someone and they were selling them. Im looking at the seedlings out my window as I type and I guess when they bloom, I will know. As far as buying seeds, its a trust thing anyway, how do you ever know what those seeds are till they bloom, if then.
Ive never heard of it on the LA, but there has been some pretty bold fruadulant sales on Ebay over they years. I remember one guy sold ditch lilies all year as intros, by the time they bloomed, he was long gone.

This message was edited Oct 6, 2012 12:00 PM

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I remember a guy with several alias in Heber Springs, Arkansas. They were selling ditch lilies too as named varieties.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Wow! Hate when stuff like that happens. I think I would stick with sellers who have a good rep.

Karen

Yep, winter is here. Four inches of snow on the ground this morning. Monday to be in the 60's which is great. I need to prime the wood under my newly installed rain gutters. Also paint my new garden shed from Home Depot. Got primer on but need to match my house. Also need to let my lawn mower run out of gas to store.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, Lilly, I sure am glad snow is not close to getting here yet. We don't normally get any until Dec., but once in a while we'll get some in Nov. Hopefully it'll hold off for awhile yet here. Last winter was nice and mild.

Karen

Karen, if I get done what I need to do on Monday, I will be happy. This summer have been so hot I got tired of it. It was too hot to garden until later in the afternoon, or mornings on my days off. Never have we had temps in the 90's for so long. Average is 80's. Although all my DL bloomed, only a few would set seeds.

Lilly

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Yeah, those kinds of temps get really tiring if they go one for a long time. I hope you can get everything done. I'll be getting a lot done tomorrow and Monday. I never get all that I want to get done, though.

Karen

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

I often think I would like to live in a place with an average summer temp of 80.....until you start talking about snow in October! Then I realize I do not want to live where it is cold half the year! LOL.....

Do ya'll get dry snow like Colorado? I don't seem to mind the cold and snow out there because it is so much drier than when we get snow here!

Genna

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

We don't get a lot of dry snow here. Most of it is wet, and good for making snowmen. Sometimes it's really wet. Sometimes it's quite slushy. Well, maybe it is more often than not. Then it freezes overnight, and everything is slick the next day. You have to get your driveway shoveled the day of the snow, or you might be stuck in it the next day.

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.