late planting?

Lunenburg, MA(Zone 5b)

Hi -- newbie gardener here. I live in central Mass. Is it too late to sow seed for root veggies like carrots, turnips, and beets?

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i believe it is.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

carrots might work if you don't get an early frost. We had carrots until spring last year from an aug sowing. But we are warmer and last year was very warm. Don't think beets would work. Try kale. Patti

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

August is a great month to start planning and planting a fall garden.

When to Start

Timing is the key to growing vegetables in your fall garden. Vegetables grown in fall need about 14 extra days to mature compared with spring-seeded crops, due to fall's shorter days and less intense sunshine. Start your planting calendar by determining your average first frost date. Usually the local weather service, cooperative extension service, or a gardening neighbor will know that date for your area. Mark this date in your calendar. Now look at each seed packet for days to maturity and add 14 days. Using these numbers, count backwards from the first fall frost date and mark the sowing dates for each crop. If you're starting seeds of broccoli, cauliflower, and lettuce in 6-packs or peat pots for transplanting into the garden, add an additional 4 to 6 weeks to account for this beginning growth period.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

well i may give beets a shot then - will have to check the packet for days

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

So we will Sow some Beets in a heart beat. Thanks Pixie. Patti

Thomaston, CT

I'm sticking with Rainbow chard.....

Lunenburg, MA(Zone 5b)

Well, I've got the seeds and I think I'll give it a go ... I'll keep you all apprised of how this experiment goes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.