A Behemoth Awakens!!!

SOUTH HAMILTON, MA

OMG Everyone... forgive that the photo is a little fuzzy, but I wanted the shot with my hand in the picture. I've been watching this bud on an unknown dahlia plant for a few days, and now look! It's over 7" across already!
I checked my tuber order forms, and apparently Red Hawk threw in a tuber called "Holly Hill's Six-in-One" as a bonus. I'm assuming that's what it is-
The plant itself is 5' high. So far the blossom is pretty ugly, but it is dwarfing everything around it! Stay tuned!

Thumbnail by Xaltd1
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Zounds! That's a big one. Keep posting photos of it. I'm sure we're all curious as to how big that bloom gets.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I really do not see anything ugly about that flower. It is not probably one I would pick, but it certainly isn't ugly either.

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

I think it is very attractive, but then I love red

Athens, PA

I don't think it is ugly either- can't wait to see pictures when it is fully open.

SOUTH HAMILTON, MA

Day two- getting bigger! 8" across! Does anyone know what cultivar it might be? I'm 5'5"; I have to stand on tiptoes to take a pic, and two other blossom stems have shot up to each side to make the whole plant taller than I!

Thumbnail by Xaltd1
Brigham City, UT(Zone 5b)

Oh MY, absolutely beautiful! I am trying to gather large dahlia's. I have a "Mom's Special" that has a flower that size but the plant is only about 2' tall.
That one is ... thinking... thinking... thinking... Oh well, can't really find the words. I really love it.

I am 5'2" and I have one that is almost that tall - Clearview Orca, but the flower is no where near that size. I WANT one!!!! I have lilies that are that large (well bloom wise that is.)

SOUTH HAMILTON, MA

I guess I'll have to wait until the bloom completes to really address the name of the cultivar. In the mean time, I'm starting an ambitious labeling project to determine what I ordered (thanks to me remembering to keep the packing slips!!!) compared to what is blooming and what I know died (RIP Onesta and Figurine). Of course, mistakes in the order can happen!!!

Oh yes please. I am going through the same thing but for about 30 dahlias from three different places. And some just do NOT match pictures and for some I couldn't find pictures.

Melissa - could it be Duet or is that one smaller than yours? It is more than stunning and gorgeous.

Vancouver?

Thumbnail by pirl
Athens, PA

Arlene

Vancouver is gorgeous! Do you know the diameter of the flower?

SOUTH HAMILTON, MA

Vancouver looks like a contender. Is it really, really velvet red? Mine is, but with yellow coming on in the center.

I noticed that a lot of dahlias look exactly alike as the bud & blossom are maturing, and they don't look like "themselves" until they've been out in the sun a few days. Kogane Fubuki I thought had a disease- it's first blossom was white this year- it has to sit for the pale orange & yellow to "color up". Hmm... just an observation.

More wine red than fire engine red, Melissa.

Many times the first bloom or two seem to be no relation to what we expect but they get normal after awhile. It's similar to many daylilies.

I have one that I have been trying to identify, well maybe two. It was a pinkish yellow to start then faded to a sort of almost orangish yellow. then the second one but it is so generic that it could be anything.

Thumbnail by Oberon46

Possible Gracie Face or Dr. John Kaiser

SOUTH HAMILTON, MA

It's taking over... the flower is almost 10". Here's the blossom and the 5' (and some inches) plant. Funny, since it had no tag and was a sickly-looking tuber, I stuck in a shady spot, away from the others, in my "Hospital" section of the garden.

This message was edited Aug 22, 2012 7:17 PM

Thumbnail by Xaltd1 Thumbnail by Xaltd1
SOUTH HAMILTON, MA

Mary, I looked up those images of the dahlias you suggested, and they are both too pale- I love them, and they are more in line with what I usually choose. This is 9-alarm fire engine red for a main color; the reverse of the petals yellow, the petal tips yellow, and yellow bases. More deep magenta/purple veins are developing on each petal, too.

What would you say the form is? Semi Cactus, Stellar, or...?

I hope I get good tubers! That's why I'm adamant about finding the name. I guess it's "Melissa's Mystery" for now!

Athens, PA

Melissa

Your behemoth is stunning! I just love it. I am thinking it looks like Arlene's suggestion of Vancouver - in any event, it is definitely a keeper!

Carolyn

SOUTH HAMILTON, MA

I found one at Swan's called "Nick Sr." that's close, but who knows?

Here is Procyon, Snoho Doris,

Thumbnail by Oberon46 Thumbnail by Oberon46

Both are wonderful though Procyon grabs the eyes and won't let go, Mary!

It is really bright. Normally I go for the more subtle, like Clearview Orca, but sometimes you just have to have a dahlia that shouts at you to make you appreciate the ones that quietly awe you

It's true. Colorado Classic has been a long time favorite but so was Bodacious and a few other loud ones. They all make me smile and that's as good a reason to garden as anything.

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl

Are those you pictured Colorado Classic and Bodacious (in that order)? Do you have those? Gorgeous. Sigh. I have become a dahlia nut after years of having peonies at the top of the list. And peonies are so much less work here. Like none at all.

Yes, Mary, they are in that order. I've lost them both but I'd order them again in a second now that I'm free to dig earlier than the rules say.

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Your giant bloom looks like Akita (on steroids) to me :) Never had one even close to that size. Vancouver is a bit more purple-y.

How are your dahlias doing this year, Tod?

Where is Dan/psudan and his dahlias?

One of the "dinnerplate" dahlias I bought is only about 5" - nice enough color but this has not been a good dahlia year for many of us.

Thumbnail by pirl

I am still agog at the size and color of Clearview Orca. It is about twice the size of a softball and perfectly round. Looks like a denticulata primula in form.

Athens, PA

Melissa

do you have a picture of Behemoth all opened up? I'd love to see it.

Carolyn

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hi, pirl! My dahlias are an overgrown jungle this year, I grew too many too close together. Things were slow at first, as July is dry and hot as a pattern lately. I used something called SuperThrive, it helped them grow, but I should have stopped using it before buds appeared, it seems it has hormones that encourage the green growth phase rather than flowering. I have flowers but they seem smaller for the most part, and some have had open centers right away. But still overall is much better than the last two years.

SOUTH HAMILTON, MA

Yes!
I've decided it must be 'Nick Sr.' b/c it is over 5' in height, and the petals roll. Swan Island has a very specific description.

Thumbnail by Xaltd1
Athens, PA

Melissa

It is absolutely stunning!

Thank you for sharing your photo.

Carolyn

Gorgeous gorgeous. So unusual in form also.

SOUTH HAMILTON, MA

It turns out I have 3 of these!!! They must have been a Home Depot or Lowe's 3-fer clump that was mislabeled. Anyone who wants a tuber, I'll be happy to send one for trade/postage. Drop me a D-Mail. If 3 of them makes 3 clumps of tubers, I'm not going to save more than one or 2; that hopefully, leaves lots more. The blossoms are so big, they pull the plant over, stake and all. I try not to have too many of these AA's b/c one tropical storm wipes them out.

Brigham City, UT(Zone 5b)

Xaktd, I would love to trade. I have over 100 dahlia's in my garden, only 1 that I am not going to save. Like Pril, I smile every time I go out and see the beauty. I have 1 with over 40 blooms, It is fabulous. It just keeps getting better. Love the pictures of all the dahlia's. Aren't they fun?
This is the plant about a month ago. Today it is loaded, and in the twilight it looks like velvet. The blooms are only 4" but it makes up with the amount of flowers.

Thumbnail by MyRee
Athens, PA

Melissa

I sent you a dmail this morning.

Carolyn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.