I need a Canadian...

Whitesburg, TN(Zone 6b)

I was going to place a nice sized order of seeds from the website - www.heritageharvestseed.com. I spent an hour browsing the site, and placing items in my shopping cart. Then when I went to place my order, the site said that they regretfully do not ship to the USA?!?

I asked them why not in a cordial email and I am still waiting for an answer...I suspect it has something to do with Monsanto or the FDA. I also suspect it is for my safety, or National Security or something like that. These kind of things makes me wonder if indeed there is no help for the widow's son.

Never-the-less, I need a worthy fellow Canadian DG member to help me order some of the seeds from www.heritageharvestseed.com . I cannot find some of these seeds anywhere else. If you are able, please help. I will order and have them shipped to you, and you will just re-package and ship to me. I will pay the extra postage and even send you a few seeds for your own collection.

Forever Grateful, Mike

Büllingen, Belgium(Zone 6b)

Hello Mike,

I'm not Canadian, but it might be possible that this company will ship to Europe, so I can send the things you want to order via my address.
I have some seeds that they offer, so have a look at my website if you can find what you are looking for.
I'm on the list of companies that do not have anything to do with Monsanto, see http://seedladynetwork.com/wp/getting-started/
I'm the 2nd one on the list ( Seed site - www.seedsite.eu)
Since it's a lot of work to harvest, clean and pack seeds, I removed the shopping cart. But it will be my pleasure to help people who are against Monsanto.

Jonna

Mount Pleasant, PA(Zone 6a)

What is Monsanto? I'm curious I've never heard/seen that word/term before.

Beverly Hills, CA

Monsanto is one of the major crop seed suppliers (Also famous for their many genetic engineering projects). Sufficed to say, they have quite a lobby force.

Mount Pleasant, PA(Zone 6a)

I looked them up after I asked that. :/ Don't really like them after reading about them. Going to have to read labels to avoid their products. As a general rule I try to grow heirloom instead of genetically altered anyway. :)

Whitesburg, TN(Zone 6b)

Thank you very much for the offer JonnaSudenius. I will be taking you up on it soon. When I do this, I want to get every seed that I desire all at once, so let me get a list together.

As for Monsanto, there are a few documentaries on Netflix that people should see. In order of priority, IMHO, they are "Food Inc." , "The Future of Food" , and "King Corn" .

Monsanto is just one of the major players, but they seem to be the most directly involved in seizing control of seeds. The most appalling thing that they have done is to have the Supreme Court declare that they own every seed that contains their 'patented gene'. This means that if your corn cross pollinates with their corn, then your corn (which now contains their patented gene) officially belongs to them. If you re-plant those seeds, then you are in violation of patent laws. Even if you did NOT want the cross pollination to happen. What they have done is go into farmers fields and take samples (without a warrant or permission), then they test those samples in their own labs. Next, they sue the farmer at least ONE YEAR AFTER they took the samples, so you cannot take samples of your own. Chances are good that your crop last year has already been used/sold. They are backed by politicians and have prior employees and CEOs serving in the FDA, the Supreme Court, the Patent Office, and even the Whitehouse.

The second most troubling thing they have done is lobbied and bribed the Supreme Court to make it legal to patent life of any kind. Even life that has existed for centuries. They own the patent for the Red Oak tree, for instance. Before anyone else new about this law, Monsanto was allowed to go into the National Seed Bank and browse thru all their seeds. Whatever had not already been patented, they were allowed to patent. Currently, they own the patents to over 11,000 different species of plants. Including heirloom varieties that they had no history of modifying, developing, or even growing. Just because they were the first to apply for the patent, they were given the patent. So, technically speaking, if you grow Golden Bantam corn, or Brandywine tomatoes, or Marketmore cucumbers, or any of the 11,000+ most popular seeds, then you are violating their patent and could be sued successfully and forced to sell your house, land, and anything of value to pay the settlement.

Welcome to the future...corporate feudalism.

Mike

This message was edited Aug 19, 2012 12:14 PM

This message was edited Aug 19, 2012 12:16 PM

Mike, I sent them an email asking if they will ship to Europe. Also told them we need no permit to import their seeds.
Waiting for an answer. Will probabely come after the weekend.

Jonna

Whitesburg, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks. I will communicate my order to you via your website.

Mike

Beverly Hills, CA

Yeah, trying to avoid Monsanto is like trying to avoid AT&T(worse actually), they are everywhere in some form or other. A lot of people do not like them but who has the power to fight them?

Food, Inc as mentioned before is a very good documentary. I think I have seen 'Future of Food' but cannot recall for sure. When you get a chance google search 'Terminator Seeds'. Monsanto was not involved in the project itself and in fact pledged not to use the technology but interestingly enough they acquired the company that developed it in 2007. Hmmmm.... Basically, it is a genetic modification to seed crops that renders F1 seeds sterile, thus preventing the unauthorized propagation of patented varieties and as some argue, forcing farmers to have to repurchase seeds again each year (since saving viable seeds is impossible). It will be very interesting to see if Monsanto does anything with it.

Did not know they successfully lobbied for the right to patent older heirloom varieties. I find that surprising. Then again, one company (I forget which), patented a part of the human genome which could be used to treat a certain type of cancer. Luckily, the supreme court saw through it and struck that down. To think that a company would be audacious enough to patent your genes!

The list goes on, unfortunately....

Beverly Hills, CA

Wow! I just checked out that site! Too bad they do not ship to the US. I wonder why. Have you contacted them to ask? Trading with Canada can be a pain in the rear. Customs can sometimes hold stuff for a month! I wonder if that is part of it.

Rancho Santa Rita, TX(Zone 8a)

Mike, I am curious - what are tou wanting to order /

After seeing tour first post, I went to their website,
and went thry the offerings, and I recognize al most
evert item as being available in the US.

Whitesburg, TN(Zone 6b)

About 20 of their tomatoes are not available here. At least, I have not seen them here before. If you are aware of a place that sells these same seeds, please share the source.

Thanks, Mike

Mike, they do ship to Europe.

This is what they answered me:

I do ship to Europe but not the US. Please email me the list of seed you would like and then I can give you the shipping cost.

Tanya Stefanec
Heritage Harvest Seed
www.heritageharvestseed.com

Whitesburg, TN(Zone 6b)

Excellent. I will get the list to you straight away.

Most bur not all are here, plus many not
on heritage.

http://www.tomatofest.com/tomatofest-tomato-seeds-list.html

http://store.tomatofest.com/Heirloom_Tomato_Seeds_s/1.htm

Good luck

I am bad about not rememberibg to report
on watchdog but have had great quality & service
from tomato fest

Whitesburg, TN(Zone 6b)

Thank you for this source! They do have almost all the same varieties...as well as MANY more. Incredible! However, they are $4 per pack as opposed to $3. Also, they do not have four of the tomatoes I want. And, they have none of the flint corn.

Just out of curiosity, how many seeds do you usually get in a pack from TomatoFest?

Mike

30 plis seeds / pkt

did you ck the sale seeds ?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.