My rescue's exploits, every day is a day of laughter!

Flagler Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

I have adopted 3 dogs, all with in a matter of a few month's apart. I had moved to Thailand in the year of 2010, and upon returning to the State's couldn't resist visiting the Flagler Beach, Florida humane society. I found Chico first! He has been with me since August 2011, and is the Alpha of the other 2 who came later. I adopted a Shiz tsu(sp?) Whiskey, in June of 2012, someone had posted him, with papers, on my Vet's bulletin board, (free to good home, birthday was May of 2011, so my DH and I went and checked him out, brought him home the same day, and than number 3 came to us in June of 2012, another Shiz tsu (sp) female, and being born Nov. 2010, Dakato, which make's her 2 years old. These 2 escaped the " behind the bars" feeling, and with my family finally filled out, we have started to have a lot of fun and laughs. I swear these dogs rule us, not the way it's supposed to be. Anyway, I will gladly share this thread with others who have similar goings on in their home's. I want to express to others the joy of having a dog home, the joy of having them make you laugh, make you proud, I call it the empty nest syndrome, kid's have grown up and moved away, they still come to visit, but as travelers, we don't always get to see them, and now that we only plan on touring the USA, our new kids can come with us! As I tend to think, they make us young again, give no back talk, will do what ever you want them to do, giving and receiving love! My story starts here! Let me introduce Chico, an over grown Chiwawa(sp) and his brother Whiskey River, and sister Dakato! I'll do each in the order they were adopted, their personality's, like's and dislike's! So for now this is about Chico! He was found wondering the streets of Palm Coast, he ended up at the shelter, where my DH went everyday, looking to replace the older girl we had to put down when moving to Thailand. She was a Dashound, 18 years old, hardly living, but being stingy we didn't want to put her down, thought she could live forever, but the decision was made, she passed slowly in my arms, I have a burning of tears as I write this, but time has helped, and knowing there are dogs who need us, we decided to adopt again. We found our special Chico! He is like a possessed nut, he doesn't like to petted last, he has to be first, and when the door bell rings, he is the 1st to let you know someone is here, and when they walk in, you'd swear he is going to bite. But he's letting everyone know, pet me first, and than I'll let you in. He has a tendency to be a guard dog, but he just wants attention, before the other 2. He love's his toys, more so than the other 2, he has to sleep with a toy, and because my bed is so high, we have doggy steps for them to get in and out, if he come's to bed and forgets his toy he'll get out, get a toy, come back to bed, and than will squeak himself to sleep. It's his comfort zone, squeak, squeak, till he get's tired, than he'll nose his way under the sheet , go to your feet and go to sleep, dragging the toy with him. He always get's up bright and early, goes outside to do business, and than it's back into bed with me, as I'm a late sleeper, and DH is an early riser. He like's to hang out with me, he love's the warmth of the sun, as I do, we spend a lot of time on my back lanai doing mosaics, and reading DG. He loves his back scratched, and if your talking to him, he acts like he understands what your saying with a tilt of his head. He love's to play with his brother and sister, and everyday around 3pm he will start to pace, as this is doggy park time. You have to take him everyday, and he seems to be the aggressor in this ritual! He will get in the truck, and breath heavy, pace back and forth, and just act nutty till you pull up at the park. No leash needed, he know's how to haul butt to the gate, and someone will be there to open it, as DH is still trying to get the other 2 out and to the gate. Once in the park, his favorite thing to do is to wait for the big dogs to come, as they have a separate area for dogs over 20 lbs, and the fence leading to the big do area has to be at least 300 ft long, may a little exaggeration?? But he is there waiting to lead the big dog into a chase down the fence and back, until he tire;s the big dog out, and the "pack" of little dogs will join in this madness, always wearing out the big dogs1 There is no longer grass along the side of the fence, as many chases that are put on each day. Chico than goes and get's in the doggy pool to cool off, and resumes his wait for another big dog to enter the gate, or try to entice the one's who are already in the yard to do some more running! He is a little dog in a very muscular body. He tires himself out and when DH says let's go, to the truck, Chico is ready! He is a very happy and well adjusted dog, love;s his belly scratched, and very loyal. Who ever left this boy get away is missing out on a lot! He is kind to his brother and sister, just a little bossy when it come's to people coming to visit, pet me first is his motto! He love's to have a paw on you when sleeping, a touch, to feel secure!

The next one, Whiskey, he came to us after Chico, and he is considered my " brat dog, due to young age" And full of himself! Stay tuned as I will post his story tomorrow! But here is Chico!

edited to fix typo's and explain about Thailand, which I mentioned we " moved" to. We did sell everything and made the big move, half way around the world, and while there I got very sick. After 11 months of being up and down, my DH decided I had enough and wanted to bring me back to the States, thinking the doctors could do a better job here, even though I spent 7 day's in an International hospital and they were wonderful. After being released I couldn't eat food or keep it down if I could eat. My DH thought I had picked up a parasite some where and they couldn't seem to diagnose it, so we headed back here to start all over. Today I am feeling much better and miss Thailand but, the food there didn't agree with me, so here we are with 3 dogs to share our lives with!

This message was edited Aug 22, 2012 1:51 PM

Thumbnail by jamibad Thumbnail by jamibad Thumbnail by jamibad
This thread has 33 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!