Planting pansies and violas in NC zone 7b?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

When is a good time to plant them outdoors? (I do not have the space to do them inside, though I am considering putting them in pots to start inside and keep outside...then move inside if it gets above 90). Any tips/info for them? Thx!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I started my pansy seeds a couple of weeks ago for winter flower for the window boxes - I usually plant them when the night time temps get consistently into mid to low 60's. Since they stay in the greenhouse until they are ready, they are already a bit acclimated to the heat and they do fine. I don't really know about bought plants though.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Whoops! I did mean starting seeds outside. Thx!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Mine are still tiny. Once the true leaves start showing up I'll begin to feed them with half strength food - and a few weeks later transplant them into individual pots til they are ready for the window boxes.

Also wanted to add that I found the green tray at the dollar tree .. it holds 4, 12 pack seed starters perfectly.

This message was edited Aug 16, 2012 4:19 PM

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks! I actually need a basket to hold all of the various seed packets (over 150!!) I got from Dollar General on clearance. I am glad you mentioned that. How long do you think it will be before you get to transfer them? What do you mean by "true leaves"? Thanks a bunch!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

The first set of leaves on plants grown from seed are called cotyledons. They are kind of like the yolk of an egg to a plant - gives it nourishment via stored nutrients and photosynthesis so it can grow what are called true leaves. Once you get about 3 - 4 sets of true leaves and they begin making enough food via photosynthesis, the cotyledons usually shrivel up and fall off.

These pansies are new to me - they are trailing so I don't really know how quickly they will grow.

This message was edited Aug 16, 2012 6:07 PM

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks! How about violas/Johnny Jump Ups...they are tough enough to start straight in the ground, right? I know the Johnny Jump Ups grow wild in my backyard. Do you know if I sow them now, when will they bloom? Thanks for your wonderful help!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Same as pansies.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Gotcha...glad I checked first. Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.