Carolina June Bug
Entrapment
Mini Pearl
Ruby Stella
Trahlyta - giant prolifs. Pictured.
World Class Oddity

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Hey Mike, do just certain daylilys start the prolifs or do you do some special type of feeding or something. I even went and checked all my plants, and I don't have any of those!

Linda

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Some are more prone to giving prolifs than others. I usually get a fair share but this year not many at all.

Normal, IL

Just this week I noticed prolifs on some of my favorites. I was hit hard by the drought (until the past two weeks). I'm going to clip the prolifs this weekend, root 'em, and overwinter in pots in the garage. Usually I just give 'em away but I'm keeping for myself until I see that 'state of things' next spring.

Last fall I gave a buddy a bunch of prolifs, he planted each in a plastic cup the size of a gatorade bottle, overwintered in his unheated garage. They all survived and he planted this spring.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Great idea!!! I have overwintered my herbs that I have in pots. Put them also in the garage and they do just fine.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

You have to look at each scape real close. Some prolifs are near the base of the scape.

Edwardsville, IL(Zone 6a)

I have some on Margo Reed Indeed, nice big ones, but I don't know what to do with them. The scapes are still very green. Should I leave them on to grow on the scapes, or break off and root in water. Do I do that now?
thanks

Normal, IL

Just cut the baby plant (prolif) off the parent daylily without cutting/damaging the prolif. Then put the prolif in a jar/glass/cup so that the bottom .5-1" of the plant sits in water. In 1-2 weeks you will see roots. You can keep 'em in the jar/glass/cup for weeks, but change the water periodically. I see that you are 2 hours south of me, so don't plant prolifs outside now (the prolif will not survive since not enough time to get established). This fall, transfer to a small pot (quart, .5-1 gallon) using either soil from your beds or purchased high-grade potting soil. You can treat them like an indoor houseplant (if inside a heated building must be watered through the winter) or store in the unheated garage/basement, cease watering in December, resume watering in the spring when the plants show green/growth, transplant to the outdoors in April.

Dependent on your zone or season, many just cut the prolif off the daylily and plant in the ground (knowing plenty of time for the plant to get established before dormancy period).

A prolif is just like a baby spider plant on the common spider plant.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I have baby seedlings in pots. Do you think they would not survive if I planted them now??? I have never tried to overwinter seedlings in the garage before.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Found three more prolifs. Carolina June Bug (second clump), Look Here Mary and Joan Senior.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I have to check mine for prolifs. Have not done that this year. One year I had a bunch on a pretty NOID. Rooted 5-7 directly in the ground, but only about 2 survived the winter.

Karen

Thanks, onegoodman1955, for the great directions. Now that our grandson's wedding is over, I can get back to more serious stuff like daylilies. ;-) We finally had a nice rain last nite, what a welcome relief! I'll let them soak up some more of God's water and then go cut them off and put them in our water to root.

I am astounded! I cut these prolifs on 8-27 and put in water. Yesterday I just glanced at them, not really looking for anything yet, and several had roots over an inch long. Now I can't keep from watching, never seen anything grow so fast. Fun!

Normal, IL

Have a glass of wine and stare into the cup for several minutes, you may sight Sea Horses!!!

Okay, maybe those are large size microbes.

When I was a kid (4-5 decades past), you could buy 'packets' via magazines that when you emptied into water, carefully added .25 teaspoon of salt, eyed several days later you would see seahorses. My high school biology teacher told me I had bought parasites.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

It has been sometime since I have seen or had any prolifs,not common to any of mine,last one I had grew like it was going somewhere though.
Oh Yeah!! Sea Monkeys!!! Some of us are with ya,!lol
I had nine seedlings from mine going looks like only two are going to make it though, any success will do for now.

By, George, or, onegoodman, I do believe I see those baby Sea Horses frolicking among the fast growing roots! Ah, the amazing mysteries of decades past!!

Highland, UT(Zone 5a)

Sea monkeys (brine shrimp, actually) are fun to watch (with a magnifying glass), but if you happen to have an aquarium, fish think they are the greatest snack ever invented.

I found 2 prolifs last week. Both were on seedlings that are from unknown parents and I can't even remember which seedling pictures they are. I'll see if I can root them.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Entrapment prolif with bud and then the bloom.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Wow! Mike, I've never seen a prolif with a bud on it, and blooming at that. Cool!

I have not found any prolifs on mine yet, but have not had time to look at all of them. I have so many. Been getting my gardens weeded and mulched/fertilized. Need to get a lot of stuff planted, and I have lots of daylily seeds I want to start.

Karen

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

I believe Ditchlily or someone else posted one last year. With all the plants you have (BFG), I am sure there's prolifs.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Yeah, I'm sure I must have prolifs. So much work to do, though, just haven't had time to check them all.

Karen

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Mike I find that prolif that is blooming absolutely astounding! You must be doing something right.....right?

Linda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.