New facination...turk's cap lilies!

Houston, PA(Zone 6a)

Seen some at a party a couple years ago. Had to have some, so I got a couple bulbs from ebay. Learned first hand about the bulbils and loved it! So now I got some bulbils of the double splendens. Also got seeds of yellow and lavender martagons, and a couple bulbs of superbums. Anything else I have to have???? Anyone have experience with martagons from seed? I followed the instructions I found online, so we'll see.

Center, TX

Hi, what is a turk's cap lilly? Please post a pic if you have one. thanks, alda

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

You may find the information in this thread interesting:
http://allthingsplants.com/thread/view/9264/Germinating-seeds/#end_of_thread

Houston, PA(Zone 6a)

Here's mine. It's lilium lancifolium splendens, tiger lily.

Thumbnail by roxxanne
Center, TX

Thank you so much. Around here, we call them tiger lillies. If anyson has some extra bublets thet form on the stems, I'd like to trade for postage or anything I have. Alda

Houston, PA(Zone 6a)

Mine are already planted, sorry. Next year.

Poland, ME

A think the term Turk's Cap Lilies to be an over generalization of a lily form. Lilies are classified as Type A (Upward facing flowers) Type B (side facing flowers or Type C (down facing flowers.) Form "C" is often generalized as "Turk Cap Lilies." These forms can be found in many kinds or lilies but are most frequantly found in certain Lily Divisions such as Asiatics and martagon lilies, but not exclusively.
Here are some Asiatic lilies that are down-facing.
And then sometimes ther are classied as B/C as they are not entirely down-facing or A/B as they are soemwhere in between up and side facing. It can get rather complicated.

Thumbnail by Mainiac Thumbnail by Mainiac Thumbnail by Mainiac
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the clarification.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.