So what about the "Sombrero" line-up?

(Zone 4b)

I had no intention of buying anymore plants this season but while at one of my favourite independent nurseries today the owner was singing the praises of HOT CORAL and the other two members of "Sombrero" . I have no space at all but I still bought two of them... embarrassing.

I don't see any reviews in our coneflower forum for these plants. Has anyone had them in their garden since the spring?

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I LOVE them! Hot Coral and Salsa Red are my favorites. They smell so good too!

(Zone 4b)

Do you think they will be similar to PowWow i.e floriferous and compact?

They are very similar.

(Zone 4b)

Well if I can get as many flowers on the same compact size but in those bright "sombrero" colours than that would be outstanding but I will believe it when I see it. We have been 'hurt' too many times with the promises of the performance of these new fangled but ultimately disappointing coneflowers.

I have photos of mine. They are awesome. I wouldn't lie.

(Zone 4b)

Of course I wasn't making such an accusation echinaceamaniac. But given this is just the first summer in almost any residential garden for a 'Sombrero' it may still be premature to give it 2 thumbs up.

I look forward to seeing your pictures.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

bumping up.. did 'Sombrero' series plants overwinter and do well this year?

(Zone 4b)

They did survive. But I needed to move them. They did well...quite short.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the report! :-)

Athens, PA

Rouge

How tall? I recently bought Sombrero Salsa Red. I really love the color. The tag states 18-24". I am assuming that according to you statement of the plants being short, that I should think more towards 18" than 24" when planting?

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

I also bought salsa red, but it has not bloomed yet.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.