Psychopsis Question

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

I have one of Mariposa Green River Psychopsis and it is doing well. Right know 3 of five spikes are in bloom and the other two are budding. It has new growth and I noticed this weekend that I have another spike coming up. All of this is great, but my question is re potting. The plastic pot is now oval, but with all this growing and blooming going on I afraid to move it much less repot. Any opinions on when it should be done, if at all?

Thumbnail by ted5310
Homestead, FL(Zone 10a)

Preferably, you should let it finish blooming and then repot. However, if you think you can take it out of the pot it is in without disturbing the roots too much then it can also be repotted now. It it is so tight in the present pot you can probably just slip it out of the pot and repot in a larger clay pot. I find that most of time the buds or blooms are not affected if done carefully.

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

How much larger a pot would you suggest? Also, won't a clay pot dry the plant out too quick?

Thanx

Homestead, FL(Zone 10a)

The normal is to repot into a pot that is one size larger than what it is presently in. I use clay pots almost exclusively, except for a few wood baskets or other wood mounts. I need the plants to dry out a little during our rainy season. I am in Florida so it may be a little different for you depending on whether they are in a greenhouse or outdoors. If plastic pots works for you just go to the one size bigger. I prefer the clay because mine are all outdoors and I like the extra weight the pot gives it so the wind won't knock them down so much. I've attached some photos of my recent blooms.

Thumbnail by chiquib313 Thumbnail by chiquib313 Thumbnail by chiquib313 Thumbnail by chiquib313
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Once Psychopsis start to bloom they can stay in bloom seemingly forever. That said, they don't like re-potting and hate a sour, broken down mix even worse. It's a conundrum. I favor repotting if the mix is at all broken down 'cause they need a very open mix. They are usually potted up in spring.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Beautiful blooms there Chiquib313. I wish you would post over on our main monthly blooms thread.

Jim

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Done. I wait until spring. I really don't want to disturb the plant especially since I have another spike coming in. Plant must be happy right now.

Yes, Really good looking plants and blooms. You should post on the monthly forum.

Jim, Have you re-potted that Alba or any other Psychopsis

Homestead, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks Jim. Will have to take some photos and start posting in the next couple of days.
Chiqui

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes, Ted. The alba is fairly new so I haven't messed with it but I've had the regular one for years and repotted it about 18 months ago. That action didn't bother the bloom spikes but it stopped producing pbs and has shown no signs of growth since. I think it is sulking. I agree with Laurel's comments.

I'm looking forward to your pics, Chiqui.

Jim

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.