August Pictures and Chat

Sanbornton, NH

Hi folks,

I wanted to show off these two episcias that I grew from single stolons I received from the Spring round robin. The first is Episcia 'My Precious' and the second is Episcia 'Sarah Beth.' I have had no success with episcias in the past, but I remain optimistic.

Earle

Thumbnail by EarleG Thumbnail by EarleG
Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

They're looking good. Looks like whatever you are doing is really working. Maybe you can get some more in the nextRR. I love the RR's. They are always worth the price of mailing . Lou

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Earle,
They look great to me.Just remember they like high humidity and being moist.....not soaking wet....and they will grow fine for you.
Lynn

Sanbornton, NH

Thanks, Lou and Lynn. I really enjoyed the RR, too. It definitely was worth the price of postage. Lynn, I figured out that it is a very humidity-dependent rhing. Humidity in an old New England farmhouse during the winter is around 30 percent. I guess I will have to get off my butt and mist, mist, mist.

Enjoy the rest of the Summer.

Earle

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I am back again trying to grow Af. violets. this time I well grow them unde light, if anybody can give me some hints, the lights are 18" above the flowers. Got the special soil for them, should I put some gravel in the container so the flower pots can sit on them ??? Thanks, Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta
Sanbornton, NH

Hi Etelka,

The first thing I would do is to check the African Violet Care thread on the main African Violet & Gesneriad forum page. Then you can ask specific questions as needed. One suggestion would be to move the lights or the plants so that they are about 15 inches apart. In other words, lower the lights or raise the plants. If you want to put gravel in the tray below the plants, add some water to the gravel to raise the humidity a bit. Don't let the bottoms of the pots sit in water, though.

Hope this helps and welcome to the group.

Earle

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

It will be funny but I did't want to drill holes in the cabinets, so I found some industrial strengt welcrow and got the light to stay up there.I can put sometihing under the pots to lift them to be 15", that is easy. Thanks for the advice. Etelka

Earle,
My plant room is very cold and dry in the winter.I have enclosed a stand in plastic shower curtains,the clear ones.It opens in the front for easy access.Before that I sometimes put my Episcias in a domed tray during the winter.They will survive at 50-60 degrees,but barely grow,so very easy on the water and no food.

Welcome Etelka! Earle's suggestions are great.Just ask away and someone here will answer any questions you have.
Lynn

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I have been keeping the fluoresent lights on 24 h. would that damage the plants or is that ok. I guess I can get some timers, Etelka

Sanbornton, NH

Hi Etelka,

Yes, leaving the lights on 24 will damage the plants. If the plants are about 15 inches from the lights, then you can leave the lights on 12-14 hours a day. The plants need a day/night cycle the same way people do. The most inexpensive timer I can find turns my flourescents on and off and lasts for years.

Hope this helps.

Earle

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Thank you Earle, You have been very helpfull. Etelka

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Very nice pictures folks!

Sanbornton, NH

Hi Folks,

Here are pictures of my Chirita 'Moonlight' which is now in bloom. I believe this may now be a Primula, but it was still a Chirita when I bought it. I would be happy to hear from someone who knows...maybe I will even re-label the pot.

Earle

Thumbnail by EarleG Thumbnail by EarleG
Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Nice job Earle!! Yes, the name has changed. I still say I have Chirita this or that but I need to get used to saying Primula LOL!!

Connie

Beautiful Earle! It is now a Primulina.
Lynn

Sanbornton, NH

Well, ladies, there can never be enough confusion in my life! My understanding (or lack of it) tells me the Primulas are full size plants and the Primulinas are rather small. Is that correct? This plant is a good foot around..

Earle

Earle,
I don't understand all of this either,but I think those that grow in a rosette form are now Primulina.
Lynn

Sanbornton, NH

Well, Lynn, it definitely grows in a rosette. Where is Olaf when we need him to settle this. I hope all is well.

Earle

I'm pretty sure it is.He's just busy.
Lynn

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Sister Lynn and I would never try to steer you wrong Earle. Here is one article for you :)

http://gesneriadsociety.org/chapters/DAVS/files/DAVS%20-Newsletter%201-12.pdf

Connie

Sanbornton, NH

Thanks, Connie. That seems to settle it: Primulina, it is. I appreciate being set straight.

Earle

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Your very welcome Earle. I still haven't changed my tags (snicker) I will before long :)

Connie

Thanks Sis! I was pretty sure I was on the right track,but this is good info for us all.
Sister Lynn

South, TX

I had no idea they were not called Chirita's anymore! I have several in semi hydro. We need to call them Primula's now?

Sanbornton, NH

Hi Sally,

Based on the article above that Connie referenced, it looks like the correct name is now Primulina. I hope it will help you. It definitely helped me.

Earle

South, TX

Thanks!

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

The name has been changed for a while now. I still call them a Chirita but I need to get into the habit of Primulina. If I say Chirita Aiko most people know what I am talking about but if I say Primulina Aiko they say " HUH???" LOL!!!

Connie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.