Beefmaster Tomatoes

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

I have 6 BEEFMASTER plants that have really done well producing lovely tasty tomatoes. Today I picked three and the largest is 1 pound 13 ounces. My largest one yet.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Looks great!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Those are real beauties. Conrats!

Here are some more beefmasters I picked today.

I really like the Beefmaster tomatoes!

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Very nice. They look good enough to eat! ~:-)

Yeh, and am going to be eating some this afternoon!

Ha, I got out just before the rain and picked myself two nice cucumbers so will be making a nice tomato and cucumber salad in a few minutes. Yumm, yumm.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Sounds wonderful. No cukes this year - the squash vine borers decided they needed them more than I did!

I picked a nice batch this am - 2 Cherokee Purple, 1 Pork Chop, 1 Dad's Sunset, 2 Friendship, and several Market Wonder. Yum! I'm getting addicted to bacon, tomato, avocado, and onion on toast, but I think I will just eat them as they are. The all look so good! What a perfect time of year!

I love to eat tomato sandwiches.

I had a retasting today of two of my tomato taste test loosers. Whoppers and Superfantastic had really nice fruits on both so I picked them and tasted to compair again. Still loosers! :thumbsdown: I had read somewhere that fruits could taste better later in the season. Well, not these. Still bland and just not the right notes of taste to me. Not coming back next year. I have so many other varieties to try.

Hopkinsville, KY

I have tried Beefmaster and it's a good one, but I prefer Big Beef. Might be a good side by side comparison.

I don't have Big Beef. If I can find plants I will try them both next year.

Hopkinsville, KY

Lowe's and Walmart sells them down this way every year. Bonnie is the supplier. I also tried the hybrid Goliath this year and it is a good one also. I planted both the Big Beef and the Goliath the first week of April this year. They both are still producing and have not doubt they will do so until at least mid-September barring any really early frosts.

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

I grew a Beefmaster plant this year. Most fruits were 1 lb or more but some cracked badly. It might have been the three days of rain last week. I thought taste was ok, but not as good as my favorites. Has anyone tried 'Goliath'? It was mentioned on another thread as an alternative to 'Beefmaster' or 'Big Beef'.

Hopkinsville, KY

Has anyone tried 'Goliath'? It was mentioned on another thread as an alternative to 'Beefmaster' or 'Big Beef'

A few years ago, I tried the hybrids Goliath, Early Goliath, Bush Goliath, and Italian Goliath. I got the seeds from Totally Tomatoes. Was pleased with all of them.
This year I bought a hybrid Goliath plant from a big box store. Not as large as Big Beef, but a little more productive(see post above). I plan on growing both again next year. There are OP versions of Big Beef(I have seeds) and for some of the Goliath varieties. I may do a side by side of hybrid and OP.

Of all those Goliath types, which one did you like the best? I don't think I have tried any of the ones you mentioned.

I never tried Big Beef, I would like to find plants next year. I definately want the Beefmaster again next year as it has been a fabulous tomato for me. This is the first time I have had it though! But I don't have any problems with cracking on them, even on the bigger ones. I do watch the forcast and if we are expecting rain, I pick the ones that are getting ripe and bring them inside. I don't think any of the big tomatoes can take big rains without cracking once they get past a certain stage of ripeness. So I pick them before they are ripe enough to eat and let them finish up on the kitchen counter.

Hopkinsville, KY

I like the Goliath and Italilan Goliath best, in that order. Attached is a pic taken today of my Goliath. It is a very healthy looking plant and still producing. The fruits now are not quite as large as the earlier ones. Now the fruits are 3-8 oz; the early ones were 6-10 oz.

Thumbnail by kygreg2000

Wow, looks really good. I should try this variety.

Hopkinsville, KY

I harvested the first Goliath fruit from this plant on June 6; it was planted the first week of April.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

My big beef grew strange this year, but they taste great, have picked two that were over a pound each, great sandwiches. tomatoes were slow in coming, but, now they are ready, give me the bread and mayo!!!!!!!!!

Hopkinsville, KY

Quote from annabelle15 :
My big beef grew strange this year, but they taste great, have picked two that were over a pound each, great sandwiches. tomatoes were slow in coming, but, now they are ready, give me the bread and mayo!!!!!!!!!

Are you growing the hybrid Big Beef or the OP version?

Yumm, yumm. Beefmaster tomato sandwiches for dinner. Nice big slices cover a loaf of bread. Also some cucumber and tomato salad I just made in the fridge for later. Love cucumber and tomato salad.

Beefmaster tomatoes picked and one I sliced on the bread to show the nice size for sandwiches.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita Thumbnail by newyorkrita

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.