ID PLEASE

Orlando, FL

I believe it is a rose of Sharon. Large shrub...at least 10' tall 'x6' wide. White flowers..a pink flower or two on same plant every so often.
Smallish leaves on mostly vertical limbs. thanks...Melanie

Thumbnail by locoluna
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Definitely not Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus). I think it's probably a more tropical species (although I don't think it's the "usual" tropical hibiscus H. rosa-sinensis). Can you post some better pictures of the leaves and maybe the whole plant from slightly farther away to show the growth habit?

Orlando, FL

Sure. I'll take pics now. I feel dumb...don't know much about hibiscus.

Orlando, FL

Here are pics...

Thumbnail by locoluna Thumbnail by locoluna
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Hmmm, not sure which one that is. The leaves seem to be too small to be H. rosa-sinensis and the flowers aren't quite right either. Maybe H. arnottianus? http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/41274/

Brisbane, Australia

Melanie... I think your hibiscus is Swan Lake also known as Dainty White.

Orlando, FL

Thats it! dainty white. Thanks so much everyone. Silly me... I spent my life thinking that Tropical hibiscus were Rose of Sharon. I have been enlightened. Thanks again...Melanie

Big Pine Key, FL(Zone 11)

Another name for Dainty White is White LaFrance.
Scott

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Beautiful! I love the pure white with no color in the throat! I have the Dainty Pinks and love them.

Orlando, FL

I have two large of the dainty white. One of which gets a couple pink flowers every so often. It is a very beautiful flower. If I were a fairy...I would wear it as a dress. he...he... Seriously though... I am trying to root cuttings at this time. Gonna keep trying till I get it! So...If i succeed...I will share. M~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.