Coleus ID ?

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

This is pretty however not doing so well or growing tall. Probably it's poor container choice but who knows. Any idea what the name of this one is?

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Lake Stevens, WA

http://www.rosydawngardens.com/cracklin-rosie-287.html Maybe 'Cracklin Rosie'?

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Could be. It's not growing well and I don't see the frilly leaves but maybe so. Thanks!
Kathy

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Sometimes they are hard to ID due to the variables: time of year, amount of sun, etc. Being so light sensitive, coleus reacts very differently in shade, partial sun and full sun. When I bought Inky Pink, it was all black or dark maroon. After days of fairly full sunshine, it has a lovely pink center. Big Red Judy is all red outdoors, but when I took cuttings to root indoors, they grew in green. The Red Coral (under the sea) was bright red when I got it, but with morning sun, the red is now growing in maroon. The heat may have something to do with it as well. I go through the same thing with Heuchera.

You could also try here:
http://www.coleusfinder.org

Marcia

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Marcia!
This is my first year of coleus addiction. I've grown them before but I look forward to a collection in 2013.

Do you share cuttings?

Kathy

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I do share cuttings. I'm just slow doing it. I've got a bunch of them trying to root right now, and a bunch I rooted for Arlene, getting stronger before I send.

The plants I'm doing now are Bonefish, Langostino, Dipt in Wine, Inky Pink, Red Coral, Red Ruffles, Big Red Judy and Wizard Golden. I am not sure the Wizard Golden is correct even though it came with that tag. It looks more like Electric Lime and is a very bushy plant. There are a few I've forgotten and also a few unnamed varieties.

Henna, too.

This message was edited Aug 21, 2012 10:33 AM

Mount Laurel, NJ

Has anyone seen this one before? It is similar to 'peter wonder', but not quite as frilly. I've been calling it 'cameroon', but now I think that is not correct, as it is more frilly than cameroon. It's also similar to 'joey' but it doesn't have that pink center.

Thumbnail by coleuslover123
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I think it may be Coleen
http://www.american-farms.com/photogallery/coleen.JPG or possibly citron ruffles
http://www.rosydawngardens.com/citron-ruffles-41.html

There are so many variables with markings and colors that it may be difficult to tell.

Marcia

Mount Laurel, NJ

Oh wow, yes I think it is 'coleen'. When I first looked at that picture, I thought it was my picture!
- Make that 'colleen'. There is a coleen and a colleen, and it looks more like the colleen. Wow, these names, where DO they come from!

This message was edited Sep 21, 2012 10:09 PM

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

It's very pretty. I just can't get over my Electric Lime. It's soooo beautiful. I'll be taking a picture before bring it inside before our temps drop Sunday. Nearing frost :( I hate winter

Looking for some cuttings - I hope I can overwinter them.

Kathy

Mount Laurel, NJ

I had a coleus that was labeled 'dappled apple'. It did look like the picture of dappled apple at RD. Now however, it has changed so much, that I"m calling it electric lime. I'm looking forward to your picture shihtzumom. The vendors pictures are sometimes a bit exagerated. What do you think - is this electric lime now?

By the way, this picture looks similar to my posting of 'colleen' above, but the texture is very different. This one has thick strong leaves and no lavender veins. The 'colleen' leaves are very thin, limp and fragile (pretty tho), with lavender veins.

This message was edited Sep 22, 2012 6:23 AM

Thumbnail by coleuslover123
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I need to get the picture but I just went out and got a leaf. They look very very close to electric lime. My leaves are very textured. If you hold the leaf up to the lamp it looks like allagator leather. I need to get a picture but I'm holding my breadth -
Kathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.