What are you sorry you planted pt.#2

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thought I would start a new thread:
In May ,DD asked if she could use my trellises for pole beans.
They are out of controle.
They are attached to the evergreen tips and going to the giants house.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Old thread:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/446583/

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I didn't plant them but I have enough wild carrots and mulberry trees to fill bushels!!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Juhur....I want mulberry trees!!!!!! Are they white or Russian? Can I pay to have some babies shipped? Kathy

My problem is Lemon grass, I made the mistake of planting it and now it's taking over everything around it....Here comes the round-up!!!!!!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

warriorswisdomkathy To be honest with you I would say red or white they are mostly but I don't really know for sure,lol
We have at least three kinds that grow here. And sure we can work something out. Talk with you again in a while.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

It probably would be better if I described them to you as mostly the ones with a large round spreading crown 30 40 ft. tall.
Every so often you will see one the that grows upright taller and thinner and is another variety of the species.
There is also one that grows across town from me that actually has thorns,I had not recalled any with thorns till I had seen that.Not to worry though I don't have any of the thorned type!lolmulberryleaves.jpg
hort.purdue.edu
IF the link works this is what is here.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Do you like the taste of the fruit? Me, I miss it and would love!!! to have some on my property, (I live on % acres so not to worry about the mess, lol......I grew up eating the russian mulberries and yup thinking back they were about 35-40ft. If your interested in doing a trade or just wanna ship me a couple of babies (under 42", post office has a tube box), I will gladly pay postage).....Thanks, Kathy.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I use to love mulberry when I was younger,I have not eaten any of them in a while,When my really old tree came down in a storm ,grandma said "don't grow or plant any more of them messy things"
I will check out the tube and c.o.d. shipping only I might just send them to you,so you can have a look at what your getting.
How many would you like or or want,I know I have at least three one year trees growing in the back yard,Then there's the two I have burned , sawed ,and dug, and chain sawed from the ground that are growing rather nicely,A couple of rather large roots perhaps? lol.
Then there are random others here and about.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

lol!!!! I promise I will plant them in an area they can have to themselves.......I'll send you a d-mail....thanks kathy

Owosso, MI(Zone 5b)

I regret planting Hodini plant can't remember the exact name just know it as Hodini plant.
It is just coming up everywhere so I'm pulling it everywhere it comes up I don;t want it which is everywhere.
Jan

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Jan - if it's really Houttuynia cordata 'Chameleon' you've got a major job on your hands.

Pretty, colorful leaves?

Edited to clarify: it's the leaves at the lower left side that are the Houttuynia, not the dayliles.

This message was edited Aug 16, 2012 2:49 PM

Thumbnail by pirl
Owosso, MI(Zone 5b)

Yes that is it and I know but you know your picture showing it with your daylilies it looks so pretty it does add something to the greenery doesn't it.
But it just takes over but that does give me an idea on how to keep it if I ever get it under control. I think I would like to put it in a hanging basket with some brightly colored blooms not sure what ones but it would make a nice greenery display with the bright flowered plants too don't you think.
And then through the winter it would probably stay alive in the hanging basket an then in the spring just pull some of it out and plant in some new brightly colored annuals.
What do you think? I know I have to concentrate on getting control of it in my flower bed first.
Thanks for the correct name.
Jan

Jan - My honest thought is do not even consider it no matter how pretty it looks. There is no such thing as "just pull some of it out". Believe me. It expanded here for well over 50' wide and 12' in depth. The roots go down well beyond what you may read about on sites. I dug every inch, amid major pine roots, from July 12, 2011 through November. I had to dig up and pot up each daylily, more than 200 of them. Then we put down black plastic to solarize the soil. I peeled it back yesterday and it looks great but I was digging the Houttuynia 8 and 12 hour days for MONTHS.

I think the photos are self-explanatory. The timbers lining the bed (so I wouldn't expand it) gave perfect cover to the roots so they were a major problem to eliminate. Often my head was underground as I examined the bottom of the pine roots to check for bits of roots.

It invaded the lawn and I still have a few spots to dig. None of the weed killers, even used full strength, actually killed the roots. It killed the greenery but not the roots.

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
Owosso, MI(Zone 5b)

Arghh I know now I really hate that plant.
Mine is also coming down out of the bottom of a raised planting bed so you are right.
I'm in for a fight.
Jan

These are not the largest of the pine roots but it took 6.5 hours to clean this spot.

Thumbnail by pirl
Dearborn, MI(Zone 5b)

I agree with pirl. Don't let that plant into your yard. I have been fighting it for years. I think I've gotten it all and then it pops up ten feet away in the middle of an astilbe or a bleeding heart--or even between the rocks edging my pond! A piece of root one inch long will soon be a new plant. And then there's the unpleasant scent....

There may be a ray of hope. I tried undiluted Weed B Gon with some success and just used Brush B Gon, also with some success. The next week should tell me if either product worked but all we can judge by is above the ground death and not by what is going on underground. It may take until next April before I can call it a success.

As for plants it grows into...all you can do is remove the plants, the rocks, whatever and do not replant them unless you feel with 100% certainty that you have thoroughly examined the plant and removed every speck of growth. It's just not worth the hassle.

Now I have to dig up an established clematis and a peony to check for Houtt. roots but will still containerize the plants.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Gosh I'm glad I, checked out the newest posts....I definately won't be planting any of that, I was considering it as a groundcover....nope I'll use my Lemon Grass instead, lol....

Oh Pirl....I just have to tell ya I picked up 5 new clems for $1 a peice, 2 C. Victoria, 2 Honora and 1 unk. Had lousy bloom this season, hoping next year is better tho....

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

It's a beauty that's just not worth the zillion problems it causes, Kathy. I'd like to spend the rest of my life enjoying the garden and not working like a crazed person to eliminate a plant I was fool enough to plant. Of course, at the time I bought it and planted it, I did not have a computer to access DG and check what others thought of it.

Yesterday I did dig the clematis (after having to cut 16 pine roots with a saw, underground) and the peony. Before I left that spot I looked under the slab of bluestone and you can guess what I found - Houtt. roots! I'll use the undiluted Brush B Gon. When I checked previously treated areas and dug up what was there (just to check roots), I didn't find many - just three and I treated them.

I saw your post about your $1.00 clem's on another thread and looked at the sale table at Lowe's but they didn't have any! Keep giving those clematises manure, compost and Epsom salt (1 TB to a gallon of lukewarm water) and they should do fine.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Redbud trees , nutgrass, and about six volunteer autumn clematis have also appeared, only as before I didn't plant anything besides the Redbud tree the one just about as tall as the house now, but the small ones are easy to do away with.So I cannot truly say I am sorry I planted it because it has always been a long time spring blooming favorite.
It is really not all that bad to trim the wild ones to look like a tree instead of a bush ,however I wish I would of bought a panda redbud anyway! never satisfied it seems lol.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

How about Stinging Nettle I might yet be sorry I planted that!!lol

warriorswisdomkathy Eh mom Eh mom mom,mom, mom, Mother , Mother Eh mom
Read your MAIL, Pleeeeeeeese, pretty pleeeease!LOL

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Since today's article about Honeyvine milkweed I have that everyplace also, and no as to I didn't exactly plant it either

Apologies to ge1836 for all the thread stray,but this has been interesting.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This variety of Lamium.It is very aggressive,I mean within a month it has coveres about 10 aquare feet of my garden.These are established plants that behaved when the area was part shade but removal of a tree has given them ubergrowing power.
Lamium Maculatem.Its due for roundup in the spring. It will require hand painting leaves on the plants as they are over some new echies and iris.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I find that interesting as that is suppose to be a shade plant!!!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

It did do OK in shade when the tree was up.
The sun has moved south and there is more shade in that spot now so the lamium was charging right along. I will treat with Roundup when the temperatures are warmer in spring to see if I can get rid of most of it.

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

Thanks for posting info about the houttyuni

Thanks for posting about the houdini plant. I had at one time thought about planting it. I'm glad I did not. Luciee {;^)

I'm glad for you, Luciee! The undiluted Brush B Gon worked very well. Haven't found any more of it, thankfully.

Lamium! It grows anywhere and everywhere and it's my latest scourge but I'll spray tomorrow with Brush B Gon and hope it kills it. This area was perfectly weeded and then it appeared like magic - evil black magic!

Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Its too cold here for those herbisides but I will get B-BG in the spring.I am tired of the lamium.The slow growing pretty one has been overtaken by the maculatum

Thumbnail by ge1836

We'll remain in the 60's this week so I'll be spraying.

As pretty as some Lamium are - I love the heavily-silvered leaves - I've banished it from my garden after it went "rogue". I'm still pulling it from some spots. It seemed to self-sow into some less-than-pretty plants that traveled everywhere. I'd put it up there with sweet woodruff which also runs rampant here and is just as difficult to remove.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm awfully fond of Sweet Woodruff....

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

It is always interesting how plants behave so differently from garden to garden and region to region. I have a hard time keeping lamium alive. I was told it was a good ground cover in dry shade - it's not for me - died the first summer planted. Currently the only patch I have is under a Katsura tree in rich, moist soil. The clump just sits there and hardly grows at all. My hated plant is lemon balm. Planted one tiny plant several years ago and it has re-seeded everywhere!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

OMG I forgot about that menace

I knew not to plant lemon balm in the ground. Anyone experience Artemisia 'Limelight'? I bought it when it first came out, before anyone warned of invasiveness. Gave some to DD and that plant went ballistic in TN - everywhere! Luckily I managed to get mine out of the ground. She was glad to leave that plant behind when she moved and she's never let me forget that I unleashed that plant on her.

I'm so thankful I missed out on Lemon Balm. Can't imagine how it didn't lure me into its trap.

Yes, Cindy. I had it for a short time and saw it popping up in a 3' circle around the mother plant. It came out immediately.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes, lemon balm is a mess. But on the bright side, I love weeding it out because it smells so good!

What I can't get rid of (and maybe I mentioned this earlier) is Persicaria Virginiana 'Lance Corporal.' Sweet, but oh so invasive.

You may want to try the concentrated (undiluted) Brush B Gon or Weed B Gon on it. Just coat the leaves, especially the new growth and on a day when rain is not in the forecast. BBG works faster than WBG but they both work in a few days at most.

Be sure to cover any nearby plants!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Pirl -- I don't know if you are directing that suggestion to me or Cindy. I really try not to use herbicides (though I do use Roundup on poison ivy....). Plus, the problem with the Persicaria isn't that it is hard to pull out -- it isn't. But I can never find all of it and then it reseeds before I catch it. So it is mostly at bay, but I have to keep at it each year.

Not like Aegepodium (bishop's weed). I didn't plant that -- it was here when we moved in -- but it is a menace! We will never be rid of it, and if I so much as turn my back it spreads by leaps and bounds!

It was for you but it would apply to anyone who is really disgusted with a particular plant that is too invasive or aggressive. I also try not to use such products but now and then we do face challenges. I did eliminate my Aegopodium by applying Round Up every other day and it did work.

I've had a Persicaria so I know what you mean. It does reseed fast!

Sidney, OH(Zone 6a)

My nemesis for a few years was Chinese Lantern...then Obedient Plant. Those underground runners were prolific racers that threatened every nearby plant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.