annuals in partial shade

Boston, MA

Tough order i know. I want to branch out from begonias and impatiens. I have had some good advice on nicotiana from folks on here. Is there anything else I might try? Would like to start from seeds indoors under lights. Thanks for help

Thomaston, CT

I think torenia does well in the shade, so do upright fuchsias.....

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Colues, and geraniums

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have had luck with fischias and torenia.
Torenia likes a bit more sun than just part sun or full shade.Zone 6a here.
I plant caladiums and use them as annuals

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Coleus and caladiums for sure...snapdragons, balsam, lobelia, nasturtium, pansies, calendula, ageratum, alyssum. All have worked well for me on my shaded patio and other than the caladiums all are easy from seeds.

Boston, MA

thanks - forgot to mention the coleus and caladiums which do very well of course - snapdragon did not - so i just may not have enough sun - but definitely lobelia and balsam

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

We had lobelia in baskets.It stopped blooming in the heat of July but it is coming back really well.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

torenia does great in the shade here.. have to start them early to be a good size by planting out time.. they are slow to start.. for a nice house plant .. or cutting grown I am in love with plectranthus .. I over wintered cuttings and they all grew wonderfully

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Good to know about the plectranthus...same as the coleus?
I'm in agreement with the Torenia....love it!

Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

now you know this is not easy for me to say.. but I think I like the plectranthus better than coleus.. had no bug issues.. even if a piece got floppy... it still filled out nicely in the container in back.. will take some pics when the sun comes up a bit more

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

so much for no bug issues.. the one container in front is full of mealy bugs.. UGH!!!

granted some of these are in pretty sunny spots.. like the first one.. Plectranthus parviflorus 'Sapphire Dream'
2nd - is mona lavender - looks like it might have rust or sunburned ???. but it was floppy when I planted it out.. look how nice it filled in
3rd - other side of that container
4th - don't count out the polka dot plant for part shade.. this one gets almost no sun
5th container with the plectranthus ciliatus with mealy bugs

Thumbnail by onewish1 Thumbnail by onewish1 Thumbnail by onewish1 Thumbnail by onewish1 Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

have to say sorry for the Hope fence.. 1st is another mona lavender - best one I had.. grew perfectly straight
2nd - is a NOID .. and I can't find out from the grower which it is.. they had it ID'ed wrong.. wish the fence wasn't there it's much nicer in person
3rd - caladiums
4th - EE's and the rest of the bunch - that fuschia in the hanging basket.. I bought it potted up already.. terrible soil in the container it didn't fare well.. and I think my front is too sunny for it now without the tree there.. live & learn

Thumbnail by onewish1 Thumbnail by onewish1 Thumbnail by onewish1 Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

will post the photos of my posts .. just because

;)

Thumbnail by onewish1 Thumbnail by onewish1 Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

oops forgot one... sorry I should have moved the container with the dead begonia in it.. it just withered away.. if you guys remember that huge pot I bought this spring.. it just shriveled up and died.. virus??

???

Thumbnail by onewish1
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Everything looks great Allison but I'm still cringing at your coleus statement!! LOL

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I know I know.. but I do think I like them better

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

and one reason is.. the hummers like the flowers on the plectranthus... double good!!!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Plectranthus is a unstoppable plant here.DD gleened a cutting from a resturant years ago.We have rooted cuttings all winter and no matter how spindly it looks when it goes out in May.It just bulges.

Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836
Thomaston, CT

It all looks wonderful.....Jo, I'll see you Monday...leaving in a few min.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Sweet potato vine is also great (ipomoea batatas).

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I see a lot of outdoor containers in partial shade in my work travels. I know you said you wanted to get away from begonias, but there is a very pretty one that has fuchsia-like flowers. They are a little tougher than actual fuchsia. also, double impatiens and variegated ones. The coleus can be impressive when you keep them well watered.
Martha

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Caladiums are just so beautiful and make all of us look like we're really experts at growing them but it's all in the size of the tubers.

This photo was taken at 11 AM and you can see the sun has disappeared already on the left side of the shot. All caladiums do fine in shade. There are those that can "tolerate" sun but it's definitely a shade loving plant.

Thumbnail by pirl
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Martha do you mean begonia bonfire.. if so.. they are one of my favorites!!.. and I finally saw a hummer eating from them the other day.. I wasn't sure if they were nectar plants or not.. but he was going to town on them

Thumbnail by onewish1 Thumbnail by onewish1 Thumbnail by onewish1
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I am definatly getting that next year.I used it this year on a design job for a friend.I chose Cupeah ( cigar plant) for myself but Karens begonia is far better.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

can always take a cutting JoAnn.. it roots pretty good.. just takes a while to get moving

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I don't know the variety name, just that they always fool me when I see them from a distance and can't tell it's a begonia till I am up close.
Martha

Boston, MA

Man!! ... I really started something here... great to see all the posts with such good information and pictures .. definitely going for something new in my shady patio .. can't wait 'til next year but as we know, gardeners must take the long view

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.