sunflowers in containers

Boston, MA

have done sunflowers in containers now for a few years. flowers are spectacular but, as i understand, the display is short-lived. this year the choice was "pacino" and "solar chocolate gold". Perhaps the most successful as any I've tried. So... i would like to hear recommendations on the container sunflowers for the longest displays . Any varieties better than the two above? thanks for help

Thomaston, CT

Sorry, have never grown them in containers.....

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

teddy bear!!!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/208034/

when I can keep the critters away from them... they are an awesome container plant... most years I fail and someone eats them though .. ground hog got them on us this year.. only stems left in the pot

Boston, MA

Aw right !! This variety is exactly one i am considering after seeing it in a garden design book. Update on mine: "Solar Chocolate Gold" outperformed "Pacino" ---keeps the leaves better and many more secondary blooms. BTW: my containers are pondside; have had some muskrat issues but plant stands have helped a lot.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

oh then they are deer height here... can't win.. LOL

Boston, MA

of course - mine are in a location where deer can't enter (so far) so i have been lucky - Teddy Bear is on the list for next year

Thomaston, CT

Good luck!

Boston, MA

thanks - naturally I have to wait 'til next July to see the results - but then... gardeners know we must take the long view!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.