Sammy Russell problems

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i have several large clumps and not one bloom last summer or this summer. is it time to yank them? the foliage is green, lush and healthy. i haven't over-fed, no insect damage...what's wrong with them? they are taking up precious space so i don't mind if they go but they used to be so pretty....sigh.

thank you!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

After time the crown gets too deep. If that happens they won't bloom. The fact that the clump is large could be the problem too. I would dig the clump and separate it and then replant so that the crown is above the soil. Only the roots should be underground.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

thank you SO much. i wondered if dividing would help and was actually going to title this thread, "why divide?"...so you've answered that question. i didn't know about the crown getting too deep over time but i'm sure that has happened as well.

thank you again for your quick and informative answer!

(Michele) Cantonment, FL(Zone 8b)

I actually had SAMMY RUSSELL and it had only one bloom the whole time I had it (2 seasons). It wasn't too deep or too big of a clump, it left my garden.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

the first couple of seasons, it was just fabulous...big, tall blooms that went from late june till frost.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Also, it may not be getting enough sun. Do you have it in a sunny location??

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

total, all day sun.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Ok, so that isn't the problem.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

this picture was taken june/09. they bloomed in 2010 too and since then, nothing.

Thumbnail by trackinsand

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.