My new obsession. :)

Carmi, IL(Zone 6b)

Hi Everyone,
As I posted before I am new to growing daylilies. I have always loved irises and coneflowers. Now Im obsessing over daylilies. I didn't realize there was so many varieties. I ordered Pandora's box, Moonlit Masquerade and Blueberry Candy. I can't wait to see them in bloom! Im going to plant them with my irises. I think they will look good together.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Good luck and happy gardening!!!

Carmi, IL(Zone 6b)

Thank you. I received them today after I posted this so I get to plant them this evening sometime when it cools down along with some hydrangea & coneflowers I bought at Home Depot yesterday. Im gonna have alot of digging to do but it will be worth it. :) I can't wait to see how everything is going to look and grow next year.

(Zone 7a)

Be sure to post pictures!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Here's a peek into the future.
Moonlit Masquerade
Pandoras Box
No BC here. LOL!
Mike

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

MM

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Mike, do you know if there is a way to tell if a daylily is a TET or a DIP?

I have several that my daughter got for me from Hardy's Daylilies in Litchfield CT, and I think they may be seedlings that Mr. Hardy has crossed....don't know that for sure, but there is no information on them as to DIP or TET or rebloom or anything else.

They are awfully pretty and I really like them, but I'd like to know if there is a way to tell.

Linda

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

l2le, the most widely used method is to use the pollen from a known pollen fertile dip and tet. If the plant is a tet it will set seed pod to maturity (if it's pod fertile), if it's a dip it will do the same. You would have to tag the flower so that you can keep up with the diffrent cross. You can also do the same with the pollen from your new plants. If they are pollen fertile they would cause known fertile dip or tet to form a pod to maturity. Bear in mind that some pods abort for other reasons other than the wrong pollen. Do you have any pics of these to share ? Mike

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

I kinda knew I didn't have to realy know-know genetics to determine which is which, but that idea is worth a try at least.

I have some pics of the ones I don't know if they are tets or dips, and would like to try crossing with them. I haven't tried it yet, so probably will try next bloom season.

Peach
Late Rose
Noid lavender
Pink Double
Tall Yellow

Thumbnail by l2le Thumbnail by l2le Thumbnail by l2le Thumbnail by l2le Thumbnail by l2le
Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Here are a few more.

Peach ruffled

Peach Double

Pink bi-tone

THINGAMABOB - iIntro from Bob Selman....I just think it is pretty and wanted to share it!

Thumbnail by l2le Thumbnail by l2le Thumbnail by l2le Thumbnail by l2le

Iris2222, you are right that iris and DL's would go well together for no other reason than when the irises have stopped blooming, the DL will put on their show. I always wanted to do that but not enough yard room.

Below is an old diagram I made to interplant Irises with Daylilies. I was going to do it but never got to since I don't have the room.

My point was that there was always something blooming and the DL leaves would hide the iris leaves.

Thumbnail by
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

l2le, the yelloow one look like Autumn King. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9219097&extraimg=2

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

l2le, the red one is close to Roses In Snow.

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Mike, thank you, but I don't think Roses in Snow looks anything like Thingamabob. That is a 2011 Intro from Selman and the parents are KEY TO MY HEART X VELVET RIBBONS. It is a UFO cascade and almost 40" tall.

Autumn King looks like that lily except for the bloom time. Everything I read said Very Late bloomer, the height is right and I do think it is a DIP and pretty sure it is dormant. But, it was blooming in the middle of July in CT!

It is almost 4 ft tall, and I believe the petals and sepals are different that Autumn King. Here is a picture of it after my daughter got it at Hardy's.

Thumbnail by l2le
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Iris2222, welcome to the wonderful world of daylily collecting! It's fun and exciting, and you will become obsessed. I live for peak bloom season every year.

Karen

Carmi, IL(Zone 6b)

Thank you nutsfordaylily. I have always been excited every year to see my irises bloom & now that I have discovered daylilies Im really excited about next year. I never knew there were so many colors of daylilies.

Iris2222
What is even more exciting is watching for the blooms on a plant you crossed and raised from seed. That goes for both irises and daylilies.

Below are 4 such iris crosses.

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by

And here are Daylily seedling crosses

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by
(Zone 7a)

I'm in love with that first Iris, Blomma So pretty.

Carmi, IL(Zone 6b)

They are all very pretty Blooma. I think my favorite is the last daylily picture. I would love to cross some irises and daylilies from seed someday. You're right that would be exciting. I would feel like a little kid at Chrsitmas,lol.

This message was edited Aug 20, 2012 3:35 PM

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Very nice, blomma! I especially like the stippled daylily and the purple with the dark plum eye.

Karen

Thank you all for the compliments. So far #3 and 4 are sold on LA. I have not listed the first or the last on LA yet because I am not sure I want to sell them. Definately keeping the 5th one. I didn't think that I was going to have the heart to sell any but I have 156 seedlings growing in my nursery bed from planting this past May.

Here are 5 more seedlings that bloomed this season. I was surprised over the double red. Will keep that one. Most are on LA and 2 have bids.

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I love that rosy red bitone! Gorgeous!

Karen

Karen, do you mean the first one, or the 4th one LOL just kidding.

Would you believe that the first one is a sibling to the one posted below. Parents are GOLDEN SCROLL X HUSH LITTLE BABY. Is that possible?. I purchased the seeds from T's Flowers and Things. She is a member here.

Thumbnail by
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

LOL!

Amazing how siblings can look so different, yet there are some similarities, too. HUSH LITTLE BABY is a favorite of mine.

Karen

Carmi, IL(Zone 6b)

I love the pink one in the 3rd picture. You have some beautiful seedlings.

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Blomma how do you choose a seedling? I realize you need to check the parents for height, bloom, form etc., but what particularly do you look for when you buy a seedling?

I have one that I have had for several years, and that was before I started getting more educated about the hybrids. I bought it because it had a "pretty face". LOL
It has been a superior daylily for me and blooms regularly and is good and healthy.
I have no idea who it's parents are though. I got it from Falcon Gardens, as one of my first purchases.

Karen, I'm sure you have specifics you look for in a seedling. What particularly do you look for?

Still trying to get "edumacated"! BFG

Linda

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I go for looks first, I guess. I like to know what the parentage is, so I know if it comes from ones that produce good offspring and are good performers. I look for performance, of course. Should have good plant habits, too, such as nice foliage, good branching and bud count, good increaser, etc. Even better would be if it has instant rebloom in a northern climate. Just a variety of things. You can't always know all this stuff, though, if it's a seedling that has only bloomed once.

Karen

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

So...a seedling is young then. Wouldn't a person raising a seedling wait to see what it did and how it performed before selling it?

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Karol Emmerich's are know for instant rebloom in the north but I have 2 of hers and so far neither one has rebloomed for me. I don't understand how they can rebloom in Minnesota, which is a much colder climate than mine.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Actually a seedling is not necessarily one that's young. The term 'seedling' can be used for any daylily that is not registered yet with the AHS. I have a lot of my late mother's seedlings, and they're all at least 10 or so years old. A seller can sell one that has only bloomed once (meaning it's at least 1 year old, more likely 2 or 3 years old, depending on the climate or if it's greenhouse grown, which would make it bloom quicker). A seller usually (or should) says whether or not this is the case.

I only have one daylily so far that gives me instant rebloom, and that's STELLA'S RUFFLED FINGERS. STELLA DE ORO is one of the parents of the seedling that it was crossed with. Paul Owen of Slightly Different Nursery says many of his give instant rebloom. He started hybridizing in northern PA zone 5, but moved in 2005 to the foothills of the Blueridge Mountains in NC zone 7b. Since he's in a warmer zone now, not sure how his newer instant (recurrent) rebloomers would do at reblooming here. Would love to get some, but they aren't cheap.

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.