Good book, 'Teaming with Microbes'

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I am enjoying a book called Teaming with Microbes by Timber Press. It is an excellent argument for organic methods. A bit dense with scientific terms, but if you really want to get the whole picture I don't see how the authors could avoid talking in some detail.
It tells basics of soil composition, all the groups of critters in soil (bacteria, fungi, nematodes , minibeasts) . and what they do. Explains how they all interrelate and how plant roots work with them, beyond mycorhizzae.... Well, you just have to read it, I can't do it justice (esp at this time of night 8^P)
Another very good book from Timber Press.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

You might find this link interesting, sallyg. It also mentions the book: "Teaming with Microbes" on the links/resources tab.

http://www.gardeningwithmicrobes.com/index.shtml

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

It's a good book, Sally.

Most folks don't "get" the importance of microbes... both in the garden but also tending our body's microbial garden.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Thanks Honeybee, I will go to that link.

And YES Darius-- it certainly makes one ponder the interrelationships between our own flora and our biochemistry, and chemicals or toxins in our modern environment.....

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

When I make soil from clay and compost and amendments, I can see a huge difference between "raw soil" and soil after it has had time to accumulate populations.

Now I tenjd to screen and amend raw clay, add compost and "innoculum" from healthy beds, then leave it in a heap for months before moving them to my beds.

I'm going to look for a used copy, becuase I was amazed by a chapter in a microbiology text that talked only about endomycorhyzzia (sp?) Some root hairs only do well if they have all four of the symbionts that they like.

And I firmly believe that healthy micro-flora and fauna crerate and sustain soil structure and wicking.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Rick, you might find what you ar looking for here:

http://www.fungi.com/shop/fungi-for-healthy-gardens-and-garden-supplies.html

I've not purchased from this company.

(I think it's spelled: endomycorrhizae)

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks, I saved that link! The 1-ounce size looks just my speed.

(Now I'm going back to my microbiologyu text to see what I* can see about
" Glomus intraradices, Glomus mosseae, Glomus aggregatum and Glomus etunicatum"

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.