HELP!!!!!!!! PLEASE.......

Orlando, FL

A raccoon knocked a can of heavy duty insect repellent into my koi pond in pursuit of the fish food. Is this going to poison my fish? Surely it will. Is there ANYTHING I can do ??? Many thanks in advance......Melanie :'(

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

I would do constant water changes.....at least 25% once a day if you think there was a leak. If you can buy a kids swimming pool (most are on clearance right now at Walmart, Kmart, and Big Lots) and move your fish for a day or 2 to drain your pond, even better. If you don't feel there was a leak in the pesticide, then partial constant water changes, for a few days, will do. Make sure you dechlor the water additions if you use a hose that's from your tap. I'd also use some salt, to put a good slime coat on your fish. How big are they? How many gallons do you have in your pond?

Orlando, FL

Hello neighbor! I m next door in winter garden. All is well with the pond and the fish. Thanks for all the helpful information. U. Sorry so short. Having hard time posting. Won't let me delete as needed...argh. thanks again. Melanie.

Hi!
Glad to hear all is well! There are several of us "ponders" on DG that are from the WinterGarden/Clermont area!
:)

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi Melanie,
Sure glad your fish are OK. You are only about 12 miles from me. Stop over anytime I love to show my fish ponds to anyone interested. I also share plants all the time. Just D-mail me for directions.
Bonnie

Bonnie...I'm beginning to think that we need a "ponders" round up! :)
(Happy to see that you're back from Tx, especially if you weren't feeling up to par)

Mary

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Sounds like a great idea. We could ea. bring a fish to swap and food is never a problem. Could we wait until its a little cooler. I think there are plenty of ponders in this immediate area.

I am so glad to be back home. Mountains and rocks everywhere isn't my cup of tea nor Charlies.

I missed feeding my fish and my dog Sadie.

Happy ponding all.
Bonnie

Orlando, FL

Bonnie... That would be great. I would love to stop by. I'll dmail ya. Thanks again Mary.

Thumbnail by locoluna
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

GREAT- always enjoy meeting new ponders with like interestes.
Your water lilly is just beautiful. Someday I am going to try and grow some.
Bonnie

Orlando, FL

That's a picture from this spring. It's not flourishing like it was before. My white one has a flower right now. But both are looking shabby ....I have no clue why...not enough sun maybe? Dunno.

Mine are looking a bit shabby too right now...I think it's the combo of the bright hot sun, followed by rain. The leaves get spots all over them from the rain drops that land and then bake in the heat again. I also have a snail problem that I'm trying to get control of, at least it's slightly getting better.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

From everything I read water lillies aren't very easy to grow. Still want to try it at least once as I think they are really beautiful.
I have become over run with frogs. Wouldn't mind if they didn't keep me awake at night. Got 3 different sounds so assume 3 different kids of frogs.
Bonnie

Bonnie....I hope you don't have Cuban Tree frogs (they get pretty big and breed like rats!) Nasty beasts that eat every other kind of frog and lizard in the state (they're invasive)
Right now, you probably are getting some toads, they sing alllllllll night long and well into the morning! I've had a billion lately! When my daughter was still in high school, the toads would chirp at the top of their voices alllll night long outside of her windown and drive her insane. She'd go outside with a flashlight and "toad-toss" them over the privacy fence. It became a running joke for years of her tormented days of toad tossing....so I video taped one the other day and sent it to her.... :)

Orlando, FL

That is hilarious...your frog story. Toads are so loud. We had two a few weeks back. Sounded like they were in our living room. We have Cuban tree frogs. I cannot kill them though. I did put a rat snake in a hanging plant that had a big fatty Cuban in it. I felt really bad...that frog struggled for 45 minutes till the snake finally got its entire head in its mouth.

They say to put CTF's in ziploc bags and freeze them, to be humane. Once I noticed that I no longer had lizards, other frogs including my favorite green tree frogs, butterflies, etc.... I felt no mercy for the Cuban Tree frogs. They literally are killing everything in Florida. They even have eaten some of my smaller koi. Grrr! An invasive species that is wiping out the normal populations of wildlife in large regions, is one that has to have human intervention. They just upset the balance of nature too much. We deseprately need the wildlife that eats the extra roaches, etc! I can't even set down a coffee cup without it being filled with CTF tadpoles. I've never seen anything like it!
If I had a yard full of green tree frogs and leopard frogs, I'd be happy! :)

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Jeff found a very large cuban frog on my angel statues head and took it home and is feeding it and his kids love it. Two years ago when I saw one I just didn't like the look of it. I kill everyone I see and the UF has asked people to do the same. We don't need more exotics here.
I didn't know at the time they were invasive just gave me the willies so they had to go.
Got a toad in the pond that is a regular baritone all night.
I can just picture your dgt. doing the toss. I sure hope the little green ones don't eat plants cause my beautiful blue sky vine is loaded with them. They also like my bedrm. window to perch in. Boy do they make a mess on the glass.
Bonnie

The little green tree frogs are a dream come true! That's the kind you should nurture to stay in your yard. I actually paid a fortune for 8 tadpoles from out a state, to try and get them back into my yard! They're wonderful...lucky you!!
The Cuban Tree frog tinkle can sometimes burn your skin...which only makes them even more annoying!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

MM,
If you want little green frogs for heavens sake don't buy anymore just come over and I will help you catch a ton. I told my grandson he shouldn't be handling that Cuban frog but doubt he will pay attention until it hurts. Will tell him what you said.
Thanks for info.
Bonnie

I will definitely take you up on the frogs! Thank you!

Yes, the CTF's can even cause an asthma attack for those who are sensitive to allergans.

I'm trying to find the link to the page about them.

http://ufwildlife.ifas.ufl.edu/frogs/cubantreefrog.shtml

Here's one link about CTF's.....the more I read, the more they give me the creeps (and I LOVE frogs!) Their skin is also fused to their skull bone, should you ever want to touch one to see if it's a CTF or one of the frogs it often mimics.

The page above also has a link for frog calls, so you know what's out in your yard making noise at night!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I will send it to my grandson immediately as he has had asthma in past years. Personally I couldn't stand touching it but I know he takes it out of its box and lets it go around on their lani so he has to be handling it. They named it Lola.
Thanks for all the info. I will see that he gets it.
Bonnie
PS Call me anytime to come get frogs as we have some doc. aptmts. next week. We can get tog. tho.

Orlando, FL

Well then...its time to erradicate the cuban treefrogs. Do you guys freeze em? Or what? Last time i rounded them up.... I gave em to my dad to kill... He fed them to little gators in the lake. I have only seen one tree frog besides the CTF in my yard. I am totally alone on this one...dads out of town and hubby wants nothing to do with this issue. I would rather not touch them and theyre pretty hard to catch. Any tips on how to catch?

Usually, mine sit on the tops of the flood lights or under the banana leaves. I use a ziplock bag like a rubber glove and grab them while theyre all curled up during the day, turn it inside out, zip it and put them in the trash can.

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

euuuwwww.

Youve never had one that's 5-6 inches big, pee on your face as you open the sliding glass door, with it's semi-toxic tinkle....now THAT'S totally eewwwwwww!

OH MY GOD! Yeah, I gotta agree. Ziploc and garbage is too good for them.

Athens, PA

eewwww - another reason why I don't want to move to Florida.

LOL....they're not from Florida! They're from Cuba! :D

I guess they could come in on planes etc. I suppose eggs could adhere to stuff also. I really can't see them doing the backstroke across the water. That lady who attempted the swim a short while ago didn't make it. Too bad. She was so close.

Athens, PA

MM - I know, but they are still there in Florida......

Yes, they are definitely tropical in nature...so not headed to Alaska! Because we had that weird cold winter, I didn't see any for a while. I was hoping the freeze had removed them from this area...but then one night I heard that nasty frog call of theirs! Whhaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh, like a bad high pitched motor bike! One had survived! Grrrrrrrr!!! (and all it takes is one!)

They are hermaphrodites??

Athens, PA

Apparently....

Isn't something like that always hermaphroditic? Kind of like Dandelions...but at least one can make wine from dandelions!

Oh they make me whine alright! :) I'm afraid one screaming CTF can bring 10 more in a matter of minutes! Blah!

Marco Island, FL(Zone 10b)

Is that what I'm hearing at night!?!?!?!? Between the snakes and the frogs, no wonder the hawk is so HUGE!
Any of you have small water gardens in whiskey barrels? I planted one so I could have water lilies(the koi have eaten way too many!) and it looks great and they are blooming. I put a small pump in to circulate the water--think that's okay?
Count me in when the ponders get together-- we have place in Ocala so don't have to go up and back in a day.
Debi

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I don't waste a ziplock bag on those -----. My hoe does the job well. My lab will eat anything so I have to keep them off this place competely. They will hide up inside of the facia along top of my house and thats really a job to get them out. I declared war on them first time I ever saw one and I didn't even know what it was. Just looked nasty. Sometimes a gut feeling is right.
Bonnie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.