New Gizmo: Anyone tried it?

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

This gizmo is suppose to scare away deer and other animals when motion is detected by giving off some ultrasonic frequency. Googled for info and a lot of these popped up in various styles. Yardgard.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Riceville, TN

I hate that no one has responded because I'm really interested to see if it works. I'll try most anything to keep the deer out of my daylilies. There are other plants that deer seem to love that I'd like to have but haven't bought because I know I'd be heart broken to put that much time & money into & lose them to the dratted deer.

DD

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

DD, I am waiting patiently.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

We have no deer to worry about here but if we ever move north to our cottage, deer will definitely be a problem.

Owosso, MI(Zone 5b)

When you say ultrasonic you mean a sound that we as people don't really hear but the animal does I'm taking it right?
If so maybe that would work for me no deer but my dog seems to like to dig anything that I have just planted up and it gets frustrating for me. Because I can go out the very next day and find the plant or bulbs I just planted laying there roots sticking up in the air and a big dirt pile.
The thing is I really love her she is just pesty in my flower beds that's all. I scold her and she lays down on her side with her feet in the air like she is giving up but the very next time I plant something it happens again go figure.
Maybe this device would detour her.
Jan

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Ryguy319, you are correct.

My daughter lives in the boonies and have problem with both antelope and deer. They have a high fence but deer can jump it. The deer will go after her daylilies and other plants. I live in town and wildlife will come down from the mountain. I have 66 DL cultivars, and 187 irises. I think if they eat anything, it is my grass for I don't notice any damaged.

It is strange that they will eat my daughters DL but not mine though some cultivars we both have. Personally I don't think there is anything that would prevent wildlife from munching---short of a shotgun---if they set their mind to it.

Riceville, TN

I have very good luck with Milorganite but you have to remember to put it around the dls on a regular basis and it's not cheap. But, so far, that is the best I've come up with. I didn't have a problem all summer but obviously after we got some heavy rains I should have reapplied. I believe I would have a whole lot more reblooms if I'd reapplied before th deer got them. I'm still hoping for a better solution.

dd

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

The best solution is deer fencing that is 8' high (any lower they can jump over) or electric fencing 4', a double row, space 4' apart. Deer will not jump that length. Not that they couldn't, but they aren't smart enough to figure out that they could, if only they got a running start.

This is what I have read, anyhow. Any other deterrent they eventually get used to.

Karen

Karen, you are right. My daughter and son-in-law is in the process of finishing a high fence. It has been too hot to do much outdoors.

I have a piddly 4 ft anchor fence. It keeps pets out. Fencing is pretty expensive at 8 feet. Luckily, I am not bothered by wildlife too much. Saw some dropping yesterday but I think they munched on my lawn. That's ok. Maybe it saved my plants.

Lilly

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

One of my hostas out back by the woods got totally munched recently. The daylilies are done now, pretty much, so I'm not concerned about them. The deer don't care about the daylily foliage. They love the buds. They cleaned me out of most of my buds one night at the end of July a few years back. I was so bummed!!!!! Very depressing, to say the least. This year I just prayed over my daylilies every night. Seems to have worked.

Karen

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

I have always had a deer problem and have had too much yard to fence in with deer fencing. I have tried other things, including Milorganite. It worked for a while but not long enough and, as you say, it is expensive ! They eat my daylilies to the ground and sometimes pull them up by the roots . I would love a good, inexpensive solution. ( Me and millions of others ! )

Riceville, TN

A full time deer hunter and a BIG gun!

dd

(Zone 7a)

A watch dog.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Open season!

I always wondered if lion or tiger poop spread around would scare the deer off by recognizing the odor as danger

Just wondering.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

That might be interesting.

I have never had the deer eat the foliage on my daylilies, though if they get hungry enough, maybe they would. In the early spring, though, the new daylily foliage seems to get munched by something. I'm thinking maybe rabbits, but it could just as well be deer. Rabbits love to eat my crocus every year, and tulips sometimes, too. I had an astilbe pulled up by one once, but it didn't get eaten. It was a newly planted one, so the roots hadn't had a chance to get established.

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.