Keeping hostas in containers

Bella Villa, MO

Hi. I recently dug up and potted almost all of my hostas (nearly 100) because the rabbits would not stop biting them down to the ground. I tried everything from sprays, bone meal, dog hair, my hair, used cat litter, prayers, and curses to keep them away but nothing worked. Containers seemed to be the only solution. After joining here and reading the old threads from people who keep their hostas in pots, I’m confident they will do very well like this.

Slugs are still a major concern, though. For now we’ve built some bleachers out of landscaping stones, bricks, and boards from deconstructed pallets to keep the pots off the ground. Can slugs slither up the supports and get into the containers? If so, will copper tape around the pots keep them out?

Also, we’re going to overwinter the hostas in our unheated garage but I’m not sure how often to water them or how much water they’ll need. Any suggestions?

I would really appreciate any and all input.

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

I would recommend leaving them outside do you don't have to worry about them drying out. I routintely overwinter 100+ hostas in pots every year in a holding bed. You sink the pots and leave til spring.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

If you are likely to have a freeze-thaw problem in the spring, you should turn the pots on their side if you overwinter outside.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I use closet wire shelving to put my hostas on, elevating with 2 layer of brick on two sides. That way you can put your eggshells or some other solutions under them to prevent the slugs. I mix ammonia, water and Murphies oil soap in spray bottle and spray the bottom of your pots, and also make shure if you using bricks to lift them up and spray there too. You can see it in the pictures left bottom corner the shelving. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta
Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

I discovered plastic,stackable shelving units. I bought mine at Target, it was a 4 shelf unit. I don't stack them, just assemble a shelf with 4 legs. This gives me three elevated shelves, the 4th one you have to find alternative support. Be sure it is a total open grid pattern. A later sheliving unit I bought was partially enclosed grids and collected water - a perfect mesquito trap! Slug damage has not been a problem so far. In the winter it is very easy to take them apart & stack for the winter.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.