canna musafolia not mosters this yr???

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

thought id ask if anyone else this yr is having similar experience with
their musafolia cannas.. that is..mine arent giants this yr..:( bummer...
corms were nice comming out of storage,firm..nice colour.. i planted them in
good compost rich soil.. they came up good.. no signs of virus's or health issues..
except..usually this time of yr they are over 8/9ft tall.. my tallest are 6ft..
its been really hot and dry this yr.. but ive kept them watered well..i know cannas take in
alot of water.. the leaves look great. good form,and nice colour..
so??? what the (%$(&* LOL :)
any thoughts??
thanks..

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

my guess is not enough water... Cannas like you said LOVE water, if its been hot i'm guessing they are getting enough light...
are they multiplying more then normal?? they could be using more energy to make plants instead of growing tall..
jen

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

i think youre right jen..
yes..they are sending up lots of shoots..not more than normal..
they are behaving normal as always..just not TALL!!! lol
i did get some thoughts from a dear friend and commercial/hobbiest gardener
down in south carolina..sort of your way..she said she is having similar experience..
its just so HOT..and DRY.. the soil is so baked dry..that with watering..it just goes down..but
more watering is needed for the poor plants..
i also am increasing my fertilizing with my every watering with my manure tea..
its too soon to tell of course.. but the cannas are appreciating the increased watering..and
fertilizing..
im "guessing" end of season..early oct (for me here in utah) i might get my cannas around
9ft.. sigh.. i guess thats not horrible.. i miss the huge plants..they are so stunning..
i will be bumping up my phospahate fertilizing end of august..to help plump up the corms.. and
healthy storing overwinter..
?? how are your cannas doing down in cullman??
thanks for your ideas.. :)

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

im not totally disappointed with my musafolia.. lol
they have been putting on more height lately..
ive been watering more.. tough in this hot/dry weather..
also giving them drownings of manure tea twice a week..
some are almost 8 ft now..so not completely unhappy..just not
what im use to.. but for this summer..probably all i can expect...
will be interesting to see if they bloom...
not counting on it ...

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

well my musafolia are getting taller..not the giants im use to..but.. near 9ft now
sigh..LOL i guess im just a greedy gardener..:) lol
i think i have been neglectful on the watering..its been so HOT and dry this summer here..
much like across the country.. i guess i should be grateful..and i am.. that we have water here..
and no watering restrictions were put on locally..
its clouding up nice here (provo,ut).. maybe it'll rain tonite !!!! :) i hope..i hope..

Calgary, Canada

All plants do not like all sun and dry.
The only cannas which are growing taller are those in part shade.
None of those I started from seeds have flowered---yet?
The purchased roots have flowered ,but have not grown tall.
Mine are all in pots and not in the ground.
The dahlias have not grown tall for me either.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

CLScott plants started from seed use alot of energy to make a root system where as plants started from roots already have a good base to start from.. If that makes sense.. The ones from seed flowered for me there first year but not all.. I started them the end of may and then by oct they were done there growing season.. I was in windsor ontario, not sure how close to calgary weather that is though.. I had them in part sun, but only morning sun.. Of course the plants i had in full sun were the tallest, but they were all started from roots.. All those flowered, but the last stocks to come up through the fall..

I have grown the same root broken in pieces in different spots in my yard, and watered as close to the same amount as you can using a hose.. Everytime i use MG (miracle grow) all my plants got again as close to the same amount.. Yet they were still very different in size.. So weather its the amount of light or just soil?? I really dont know why some just are lazy growers haha..
jen

Calgary, Canada

Yes, there are so many variables. Just be patient with the slow growers.
Caroline

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

i think this yr for me at least..and i guess many places around the states..its been a tough
summer for many of our tropicals/semi tropicals..
my musafolia are getting "ok" size now..
some of my EE's that are getting more sun..are as u all have mentioned.. not appreciating all
that heat.. even with all my watering..
i have same colocasias getting moderate sun..and they are HUGE..same watering..fertilizing..
only tropicals that are doing great are my bananas..they are soaking up the sun..
guess we just try to give our plants the best conditions we can..with the weather were dealt..
and get them thur.. :)
they are our babies.. :)

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Cannas here had just started growing when hit with high heat and drought which lasted all summer. When too hot, many plants will just stop growing.
On irrigation and good care the increased at the base, but not their usual height this year. With rain and cooler temps, in the last week, they are putting on more height now.
If this weather trend continues, they will double/triple/quadrupel in breadth before frost and our season ends mid to later October. But will probably not reach their usual height this year.

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

i agree abutilon..
my musafolia are now nearly 10 ft.. but sure took them till now
to get there..
at start of season (june for me)..i wondered.. ??? virus,corms just old ,am i just not
watering/fertilizing enough...
leaves never did have any discolouration,or shape... just plants werent going anywhere..
LOL
i guess i'll find out how the corms are when i dig them.. for me mid october..
so..they have another month + to go..

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

well it took them all summer..but they did get nice sized.. many actually blooming..
go figure..???
we had some nice rain last week.. im sure helped them alot.. i dont know i got enough
water to them this summer..
it was HOT.. and DRY !!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.