Apple Chutney
Makes 2.7 kg (6 lb)

1.4 kg (3lb) Apples, peeled, cored, diced
1.4 kg (3lb) Onions, chopped
450g (1lb) Sultanas or Seedless Raisins
2 Lemons, zest and juice only
700g (1˝lb) Demerara Sugar or brown sugar
600ml (1 pint) Malt Vinegar

Place the apples, onions, sultanas, lemon zest and juice, sugar and vinegar in a large saucepan.
Bring to the boil.
Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 3 hours, or until the mixture has thickened, with no liquid remaining.
Pot the hot chutney in sterilized, hot jars.
Leave for at least 2 - 4 weeks to allow the flavour to mature.
I did not process this lot and it did well, I cooked it in January (Summer in my side of the world) and I am consuming it now, mid winter. When I do open the jars they are all vacuum sealed and delicious.

Apple Chutney
Makes about 6 pint jars

2Kg (quarts) chopped, cored, pared tart apples (about 10 medium)
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped sweet red bell peppers (about 2 medium)
2 hot red peppers, seeded and chopped
3/4 Kg (1˝ pounds)seedless raisins
4 cups brown sugar
3 tablespoons mustard seed
2 tablespoons ground ginger
2 tablespoons ground allspice
2 teaspoons canning salt
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 Lt (1 quart) white vinegar (5%)

Procedure: Combine all ingredients; simmer until thick, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. As mixture thickens stir frequently to prevent sticking.
Pour boiling hot chutney into hot jars, leaving ˝ inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if needed. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened clean paper towel; adjust two-piece metal canning lids. Process in a Boiling Water Canner.

I have not jet used any of these.

This thread has one reply. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!