amaryllis seed HELP please!

Mount Pleasant, PA(Zone 6a)

My amaryllis decided to bloom in July. I noticed them growing & brought them out. One of them developed a nice fat seed pod. I left it on the plant waiting for it to turn brown & burst open.
Mother nature decided to give us some fantastic wind that blew the pot over & the seed stalk still green about a half inch seperated from the plant.
Can i save these seeds still? This was the first time they set seed & I was eagerly waiting for them to ripen so I could grow them.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Depends on how far along the seed pod was. Sounds like you may be okay.

Mount Pleasant, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks I'll wait for it to brown & break it open. I'll just plant them & see what happens.

Any idea about how long they take to sprout?

Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

I’ve had some success with treating the separated seed stalk (scape) as you would cut flowers.

Trim the bottom broken end of scape at a 45° angle. Put it in a vase with room temperature water covering all of the cut end plus a wee bit more.

Put the vase in the brightest place possible like a sunny windowsill.

Change the water at least every other day – every day if it gets cloudy.

Re-trim the bottom of the scape as it deteriorates.

Good Luck!

Candace

Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

Have you grown amaryllis from seed before?

If you break open the seedpod, be sure to check for the “kernel”. It should be about the size and shape of the little kernel between the 2 halves of a peanut. No kernel – no seedlings.

Personally I’d wait. Mature seeds do better than immature seeds.

Germination time depends on the variety. The shortest time in my garden was 9 days. 3 or 4 weeks is more typical. 2 months is a bit much but I’ve seen that too. It seems the fancier the parents, the longer the germination.

Candace

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.