ID Please

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I moved this last year and cannot find the tag. Please help me identify. Thanks.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Wanaque, NJ(Zone 6b)

Based on just the photograph and without a description of the height of the Hibiscus and a better view of the leaves, I suspect this may be Hibiscus Crown Jewels but I don’t have a high confidence level in the identification.

HARDY HIBISCUS 'CROWN JEWELS' FLEMING HARDY
http://www.soonerplantfarm.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.plantDetail&plant_id=193

The leaves which are shown are greener than I would have expected. Hibiscus Crown Jewels should be about 2.5 feet in height. Can you provide any additional information?

Mike

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Michael, I will have to take a photo tomorrow. Today got away from me. I do not remember buying any HH having that name.

Wanaque, NJ(Zone 6b)

Sharon,

I had also considered Hibiscus Luna White and Hibiscus Disco Belle White which have green leaves but rejected them because they don’t have a streaky red-eye. The streaky red-eye is a signature of the Fleming Brothers. Post the additional information when you have it.

Mike

This message was edited Jul 31, 2012 7:57 AM

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Michael, this is a photo of the leaves. It was really sunny. The leaves are tattered because of the big hail storm we had.
The plant is about 2 1/2 feet tall. I do not know if this will help but I do appreciate your effort.

I think I am going to put the HH names on boulders big enough the mow and blow guys cannot move them. They are not suppose to even be in the flower gardens. Sharon

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Wanaque, NJ(Zone 6b)

Sharon,

OK, we know the following about you Hibiscus:

* Winter hardy.
* Dwarf height.
* White flower.
* Streaky red-eye.
* Green leaves.

With the exception of the green leaves, this is a near perfect description of Hibiscus Crown Jewels. What is the color of the unopened buds? Crown Jewels is described as having yellow buds. As you indicated, your leaves have been damaged and it would be interesting to see the photographs on undamaged leaves if new ones emerge. With the information which has been provided, I am unable to find anything which is a perfect match.

It sounds like you need these markers in your garden. I have recovered “lost” plants after a number of years where the markers were buried and forgotten. Be sure to use a paint pen to mark the tags, as ink markers will fade.

25 11.5" TALL METAL PLANT MARKERS
http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-11-5-TALL-METAL-PLANT-MARKERS/200643594882

Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.