Long hot summer clematis chat

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

We were here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1265378/

The last few days have been much cooler but anything is better than the high 90's. We've also had a nice share of rain. So much of the country needs rain so much.

This was an excellent surprise to mark today! My gift clematis, from a sweet friend, bloomed!

This message was edited Jul 29, 2012 12:19 PM

Thumbnail by pirl

Here's a better close-up of the new clematis. I love the combination of purple and violet.

Thumbnail by pirl
Thomaston, CT

Pretty! My 5 year old granddaughter, Anni, was sitting by the front steps today putting on her sandals & became excited when she saw the sepals left from Silver Moon....glad she was interested.....

Athens, PA

Gorgeous color on that clem, Arlene - what kind of clematis is it? I love the depth of colors.

Robin - one never knows about children and plants. My grandmother showed me where the seeds in a marigold where located when I was about 8 years old. That was all it took - I was so fascinated and forevermore a gardener.

Thomaston, CT

My 7 year old granddaughter has been fascinated by plants since age 2, but Anni never cared.....happy to have both on board....now if I can only impress their 4 year old brother.....My son always was interested in gardening, & he became a landscape architect, so maybe the seed has been planted...no pun intended!

Marilyn - it's always encouraging to have the young ones interested in plants. I hope Anni takes to art as well. When you least expect it your grandson may surprise you with his love of a specific flower or tree.

I really don't know, Carolyn, but I do love it.

Thomaston, CT

You are so right, Pirl...kids are surprising....my earliest memories are of being with my Grandma in her gardens....she had many iris, and they are one of my favorites as well......

In my family I was the one who loved flowers from a very early age. Nothing has changed!

Here's my photo of my fourth birthday. My mom always gave me a bouquet of flowers and I always loved them.

Thumbnail by pirl
Louisville, KY

That is a touching picture. I also was the one in the family who always loved flowers.

Thanks, John. One of my older sisters loved butter...still does...it shows!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I take after my father, who always had flowers in between the vegt. We had the white lillies in the front yard, and some annuals. Had that beutiful pink climbing rose, I still have not found out the name, more like the Climbing Eden. He alwas said ,do not build tall fences, let your neighbors enjoy your garden. That why is my pickent fence only 3 1/2 feet tall, so everybody can enjoy it. He also know how to graft trees and roses, and practiced organic gardening. Used a tea made of stinging nettle to sprinkle fowers to reppel bugs. He is still watching over me, because I feel his presence in the Garden. Mom and dad and the fourth baby on the way. I am the 4 years old. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta
Athens, PA

Love the pictures.

Thomaston, CT

What pretty girls you both were!

Such a lovely photo. I doubt if I have any of the entire family when we kids were young. Let that be a lesson for all - take lots of photos.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

This was in 1954, they did't take as many pictures then, this is one of the few pictures of mom, she died in 1963. Dad rased 4 kids on home grown fruit and vegt. and we had a memory of how a organized garden looks like. Dad used to plant in 4 x 8 feet raised beds, so you did't have to step in , could reach the weeds from outside. Always planted 2 vegt. in one bed, knew the timing of each vegt. Planted lettuce with white onions, so by the time the lettuce was done, the onions where comming up. We had seasons, first thing in Spring where spinich, after eating all Winter beans, potatoes and sourekrout, it was a treat to have something green. How come I remember all that 50 years ago, but loose my coffee cup in the morning? Etelka

Ha! That's a good one, Etelka.

I'm just so glad you have the photo. I realize they didn't take many photos long ago but you do have a treasure there. Your memories are another treasure.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

New discovery yesterday, Rebecca made her appearance , also Daniel D. has a new bloom. Last night we had a very good rainshower, hope everything will wake up from all that heat. Hopefully we will get more today. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta

You're really doing a great job with the clematises, Etelka. Rebecca and Daniel D. both look so terrific.

The heat has been horrible this summer so I go out early and come in before I melt in the garden. Then I go out again after dinner. So far I'm actually ahead of previous years.

I'm sure most of us will welcome any rain we get. Last week we had three days with rain to enjoy. Hydrangeas still cooked and browned unless they were in mostly shade. Even the roses are looking good and that's rare for me. The caladiums are loving the heat.

Thumbnail by pirl
Thomaston, CT

Rebecca is a gorgeous color! Pirl, lovely display for the caladiums...I just have one stuck in a perennial bed....not very inspiring!

Thanks, Marilyn. I'll have all winter to work on a better choice for the small clam basket next to the driftwood. Right now just the thought of winter is so appealing.

Thomaston, CT

Had to turn on the air today...just too hard to breathe!

I was only out for 90 minutes but came in (to the AC) drenching wet. It's way too humid.

Thomaston, CT

Over 90 here with killer humidity.....

Louisville, KY

Same here. High humidity , high temperature and.....lots and lots of moaquitos

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

The weather is actually cooler here today, in the low 80's and rainy, which I'm thankful for.

I came across this website as I was looking for names for some clematis blooms, the pictures are just gorgeous.

http://www.clematis.be/frgrootbloemigeab.html

Gee, I wonder why I found Ice Blue, Ice Crystal, Ice Maiden and Snow Queen so appealing today! LOL

They are beautiful photos, Annette - thank you for a very relaxing start to cocktail time. I viewed every one on that site.

Have any of you ever noticed that, when looking at clematises, there's seldom one any of us would refuse to accept?

I really liked many of the pink and white combinations!

Athens, PA

Gorgeous photos on that website - thank you Annette. I put that one into my favorites!

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

You're both welcome. I added it to my favorites as well for those long winter days when I want to drool over beautiful clematis pictures, LOL.

I wanted to share that I was doing some garden clean up this evening after the rain, and I noticed that my Patricia Ann Fretwell is making a come back, and has grown a few inches this week. I'll have to post a picture tomorrow.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

pirl: "Might" your new clematis be Marie Louise Jensen ???
It looks like mine.

A friend raised this one from seed so I doubt it's MLJ but thanks for posting. Now it has more blooms so I'll take more photos. The blossoms aren't large - maybe 3".

Big Flats, NY(Zone 5b)

Hi, My wife and I took a bus trip down to Brooklyn Botanical Garden. It was our first time, it was hot!!but most of all it was wonderful ! what tremendous quality and everywhere ! The Monet Exhibits in the garden and especially in the conservatory was just, oh my ! I could not begin to describe the gardens! If you haven't been there please try to go. 1st pic. c. Intergrefolia 'Silver Star' 2ond and 3 rd pic after years of thinking about it, I grew some of my B&L Tuberous Begonias in a bed they have done very well and are a bit easier to care for than the BIG pots I have used for years. 4th pic is my most best l.' Casa Blanca' . All these and our whole property came though undamaged with an F1 Tornado touch down within 1/4 mile. Thanks be to God. Elmira was declared a disaster but the damage was scattered so it did not get Fed. funding, poor Elmira is so down at the heels nowadays. Carolyn, did you have any damage? I hope not. Lee

Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP
Athens, PA

Lee

Stay safe - there is more on the way. We are supposed to have severe storms today too. I was going to go to church this morning, but the weather has me scared any more. Truthfully I hope the weather people are wrong again as they so frequently are anymore.

We sustained some damage, but not bad. I could have been my house, cars or koi pond. Instead one of the sections of fencing at the back of the property had a huge limb from the neighbors tree go through it. What is really odd about this storm and the one we had a year ago May - I had 2 small pots, maybe 4" in diameter on my bistro table on my back porch. With all the wind, those 2 little pots never moved and the limbs and trees that had come down - I just thought it was odd. Same thing happened in the tornado last year - I had an empty pot on the picnic table on the back deck and it never moved, but brought down huge trees.

I am to a point where I see my animals head for the cellar, we are not too far behind them.

Thank you for asking.

Alene - I have to believe the severe weather is on your way. I saw a huge swath on the weather map from Alabama to the mid to upper part of New York State - stay safe.

Thank you for asking Lee. Glad you saw the botanical gardens - sounds like something I should look into.

Carolyn

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Lee, I'm glad to hear that you and your family are safe, and that your garden made it through the storm. I hope there were no injuries in Elmira.

Silver Star is gorgeous, and your blooms are beautiful. I tried growing the B&L begonias last year, but didn't have much success. The plants would break at the base when they got top heavy. I still have the tubers, and I wonder if I should try them in the ground next year? I love the colors an the size of their begonia blooms.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Oops Carolyn, we crossed posts, I pray that everyone in the NE please stay safe today from these storms. Annette

This message was edited Aug 5, 2012 2:55 PM

Thomaston, CT

Thanks....the storms here have increased in intensity over the last few years....had many trees brought down last year.....so far, nothing this year, but tremendous hail damage just one town away on July 1st......Thanks for the wonderful photos of the clems.....nice to dream!

Bloom of the day today: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1274167/ by our own minnesippi!

Thomaston, CT

Nice!

Athens, PA

Very nice. Love the color!

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Arlene, thanks for the link to the bloom of the day. Just gorgeous minnesippi!!!!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

This morning I have seen my first Humming bird on the Black and blue Salvia and my new bloom on the Sizaja Ptitsa Clematis. It is up to 5 feet tall and just blooming on at the time. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.