Happy Birthday, Pirl

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Hey, Pirlie. Hope you have a great day, my dear friend and ally.

Remember the Vienetta you gave me for Christmas a few years ago? It's still going strong.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Thank you so much, Zuzu. That Vienetta is gorgeous. I'm so happy that it's doing so well for you.

I will remain your friend and always your ally for all time!

Here's our new arrival, Smitty. He's almost as sweet as you are.

Thumbnail by pirl
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh, I love him! He's adorable. He looks so young and so old at the same time. Must be the beard.

Thanks, Zu. At the shelter we were told he was 3 or 4 but he acts more like a puppy. He is a Havanese and has many medical issues but he and I are coping well with them. He's the dog I always wanted and now he's ours.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Arlene, Happy Birthday to yoouuu!!!!! I hope you have an amazing birthday, and may you be Blessed with many more wonderful gardening years. Annette

Thank you, Annette. I could hear you singing from here.

My mom took this photo of me on my 4th birthday. Now, 67 years later, I still love gardening and love our Smitty as well.

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Happy Birthday to a lovely lady! What a handsome son you have there.....
kathy

Thanks, Kathy. He looks just like me, doesn't he?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I like bluebirds, but I love my friend Arlene even more. Happy Birthday and lot's of happyness. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Wishing you a healthy and happy birthday that lasts all year long!

Marcia

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Arlene you were gorgeous at age 4, and you still are now. It's so sweet to see you in your element at such a young age.

Etelka! What a sweet and caring message. Thank you so much.

Marcia - thanks for the good wishes! We spent the afternoon with my daughter, SIL, son, his girlfriend, my now 21 year old granddaughter (as of yesterday) and my six year old grandson celebrating with a beautiful and delicious Red Velvet cake my daughter made.

Annette - oh, thanks. I have always loved flowers and my mom always gave me a big bouquet for my birthday and I always loved them. I've been so blessed to have such a great family.

Thumbnail by pirl
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Your mom was a smart and classy lady. And someone in your family is very creative because that is a terrific cake. I know you feel loved!

I treasure those forties and even older photos. When my sister was born in 1940, there was not a lot of money, but I think they took pictures of her every week—she was the first child. You are so lucky to have had a summer birthday. Since mine is around Hallowe'en, you know I never got flowers! (but I did have a classy mom, too)

I have made a point of taking those old photos, even the ones from Europe, and posting them on my Facebook wall so that my cousins' children can know their ancestors as I hope your grandchildren will also.

My mom was the best, Marcia, and I hope each of us feels that way about our mothers. I was just 30 when she died and I have missed her every day of my life.

I started with cake decorating in 1971 and loved doing it. Now, with the tremors, it would be too nerve wracking for me to do but, much to my delight, my daughter started in with baking and decorating a few years ago. She just did her first professional job - 150 mini cupcakes for a wedding and they were a big hit. Instead of the ritual of the passing of the torch I passed the offset spatula to her (for frosting cakes).

While I don't have a lot of old photos my mom managed to get shots of me by the rose arbor at the entrance to my full-sized doll house (the first color photo she ever took), under the magnolia tree, next to the hollyhocks, etc.

I did copy a lot of very old photos for my kids and my nieces and nephews and everyone enjoys them. Seeing my dad in his Army uniform in WW 1 takes us back almost 100 years.

Louisville, KY

What a wonderful picture. And what wonderful memories. Again Happy birthday dear friend.

John

Thanks, John. It was a wonderful birthday.

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

)))))) Happy Birthday((((((((

I'm so sorry, actually samina was in hospital and due to her I forgot , wishing you late. But I hope you will have enjoyed alot with you new lapdog.
Again so sorry.

Kaleem

Thank you, Kaleem. I hope Samina is better now.

The lapdog is just wonderful.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

How did I miss this? Looks like you had a great day. The best birthday is one filled with loving family and friends ...of which it looks like you have plenty.

Thanks, Anna. I'm always so thankful for family and friends.

Grosse Pointe Shores, MI(Zone 6a)

Wow, I was busy all summer out in the garden, tending to my clematis (among other things), and completely missed this...

Happy (Belated) Birthday, Arlene!

Thanks, Katherine. Good wishes are always timely and never too late.

How are your clematises growing? Are any in bloom now?

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Somehow I missed this too... Happy Birthday Year, Pirl!
WeI've been back from our long, long trip for a week now, but have not yet gotten to the garden. Re- entry to normal life was fierce, but we are now catching up with ourselves. This Friday we will finally get to CT for a few days. Friends harvested tomatoes while we were gone, and say that the garden looked good. But until I get there I won't know what's happened to all my 'specials,' all my favorite little projects. It will be 7 weeks by then. Who grew like crazy, who sulked, who gave up the ghost? How did my self-installed-at-the-last-minute irrigation system hold up?

At least 6 of the clematis I bought last spring were doing well when I left. The rest may not show themselves until next year, if at all.

Gardening is an exercise in patience, is it not?!

Pam

Thanks, Pam. Going away is always nice but returning to our gardens is such a delight. I hope all is well in CT.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.