Mexican Milkweed, want to hybridize

West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

I want to hybridize Mexican Milkweed (also known as butterfly weed, Mexican blood flower), it's a tall plant with long, thin leaves and red-orange flowers and monarch caterpillars eat it.

I've seen other milkweed that look identical to it but have yellow or light purple flowers, but they are not listed under the same name. Can anyone help with the name, and, how can I hybridize the 2 related species, keeping them next to eachother outside should allow cross pollination by bees right?

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Keith,

You might want to study the flower parts and do the hybridization yourself. And, do you know that the milkweed contains a chemical factor that can actually injure your eyes? Just be aware, and take precautions to wash your hands after handling the milkweed, and especially don't rub your eyes for any reason.

ZM

That's what I was asking if they can hybridize, of you say they do I can do it myself. I'm aware of the milky sap as an irritant that is why monarch butterflies are toxic milkweed is poisonous.

I want to do the hybridization myself between tropical milkweed (non native) and swamp milkweed (native). The tiny flowers are so delicate, do I remove the stamens or just leave them on and keep the 2 plants right next to eachother? Do milkweed produce pollen the day they open or the 2nd day?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.