WHAT IS IT???

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I put this on a earlier post buy didn't have a picture, So now anyone tell me what it is, I know it is a daylily because it came up with my other seedling & I had a double fan of Kitty Wells that did the same thing without it blooming & last year I had another one that looked like this & it never got to bloom.

Can anyone tell me why a daylily would turn to this. I am sure someone has had the same thing happen to them but just let it go like I did last year.

Thumbnail by Roseman2
(Zone 7a)

Certainly not a Daylily. Looks Like Nutsedge.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/54348/

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

That's not a daylily, although it may be right next to one. It is Cyperus spp, Nutsedge or one of the other similar plants; a perennial weed that spreads both by seeds and by the tubers or rhizomes it forms underground. Make sure you get all the underground growth to get rid of it.

(Zone 7a)

It's possible the Nutsedge got down inside your Daylily. If you dig it and pull apart the roots, you may see 2 different plants.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I will second and third the nutsedge. Thats what the picture is of. As stated above it does love to get entagled with daylilys and their roots.

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Is it posable that a daylily could turn into nutsedge because it looks just like the leaves on my other seedling & it came from my daylily seeds that I planted, I dug up the plant & there is only plant but it is so odd that a plant would turn to this. I know everyone says it is a weed but how could a true plant turn into a weed or would it turn back next year, I know it sounds kind of funny that I would think this.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

If that is all nutsedge, then you never had a true plant or the nutsedge chocked it out. You said it never bloomed, and maybe you have now discovered why. One thing is for sure, a daylily cant just turn into nutsege. Thank goodnes ;-o
The roots on nutsedge are not like daylily roots, so you would have noticed that right away when you bought it.

(Zone 7a)

There is no way one plant can turn into another plant except by magic.

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

The cat got my tongue.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

In looking really close at that picture. It looks like the daylily is to the right and leaning over towards the right. The nutsedge is snuggle up to the left side of the fan. Just slip you finger inbetween the two and try to wiggle the nutsedge out. You can then stand the daylily up to make it happy.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I get that in my garden. I didn't know what it was called and now I know. It's leaves do look like daylily leaves.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I get that in some of my daylilies. Just follow the stem down to the ground and pull it out carefully. You may have to wet the bottom first so you don't pull the daylily up with it. BEV

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

There are some weeds that look very much like DL foliage, but you can tell by the roots. Dig it up and you can see the tuberous roots of a DL.

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

Nut sedge is called that because there is a tiny tuber that must also be removed or it will regrow from that.

Here are lots of images: https://www.google.com/search?q=nutsedge+grass&hl=en&rlz=1T4GUEA_enUS490US490&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ToMVUKrgPJCs8QTjpIHACw&ved=0CEYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1858&bih=992

Below picture that shows the roots and tuber is from this site: http://sadlerhoa.wordpress.com/2012/06/29/your-lawn-will-survive/

Thumbnail by DitchLily206
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I did not know they had tubers like that and I have pulled up lots of it. Thanks for the info.

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

You are welcome.

Riverview, MI(Zone 6a)

I've been battling this pest all throughout my yard and garden. I pull them out whenever I see them but I don't think I've ever pulled out a tuber with the roots. Ditchlily, thanks for the site...it listed a product that I'm going to try to find to get rid of it in the grass. But, it doesn't help that my neighbor has it growing all in her yard/garden ... I think she thinks it part of the groundcover plants.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Not all sedges have that "nut", but all seem to thrive in wet conditions, and are very hard to eradicate. If it is a light green leaf, with an obvious midrib, and grows faster than your lawn, chances are it's a type of sedge.

(Michele) Cantonment, FL(Zone 8b)

Sometimes I've had to dig down a good 8-9" to get that nut.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Wow, I didn't know the root could be that deep. Interesting!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow, I haven't seen any nuts on them either but then again I didn't know you had to dig that deep.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Thats why I resort to round up as much as I can. Cleary you cant get right up around the plant, but I feel like if I roundup it, then the nut will get killed. I hardly ever pull them up with the weed.

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

Image will kill it, the problem is that I do not know how it effects dayllies. I suspect it would be badly though so I have not been will to try it there. Regular grass is not problem, it is not hurt by Image.

Found a really great article about Nut sedge and treatments for it here: http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/travis/docs/mpp_w_art_nutsedge.pdf

This message was edited Jul 31, 2012 11:48 AM

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Unfortunately, RoundUp has been so widely used that some weeds have developed a resistance to it. It will work on sedges, but may take several applications. The problem is that the sedges usually grow in places you can't spray without killing the prefered plants, such as lawns. I can't quite picture some of you that grow Daylillies for sale down on your knees with a paint brush or sponge trying to kill sedge amongst your hundreds of Daylilies.
In my miniscule garden, I have not tried the corn gluten products, and here they are expensive, but I would think that if the weed was pulled, and the corn gluten product spread before new ones could sprout, that would be the best method of control. Obviousely, that wouldn't work in a seedbed. The one thing almost all pre-emergent herbecides have in common is that they form a barrier in the top layer of soil, so once applied, the soil can't be disturbed, or they are useless. Better than some of the salts or petroleum products that render the ground sterile for generations. If you use any herbecide, READ THE LABLE carefully, and follow instructions. These people do a lot of research before they get the product licencesed.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Very true. A lot of the sedge I get is really too close to daylilies to use roundup. I just pull them by hand. If they come back I will just keep hand pulling I guess.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

For sure you have to steer clear of the plants. Thats why Fred has so many pots in pots, so he can take the pots with the plants out and just sray roundup to his desire. Come back and put the plants/pots back in the ground pots. Great idea, lots of work up front

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

This is what is in my Ed Murray. I saw it growing, and I thought....Wow! Ed is really starting to take off. This afternoon, this is what I got.

This came from North Carolina. I've never seen a weed like this here in New Mexico

A closeup

A little distance shot. The leaves look the same to me.....

Thumbnail by l2le Thumbnail by l2le
Owosso, MI(Zone 5b)

Just be diligent with it it can be eradicated I know because I did get rid of it by digging out the good plants that were around it and cleaning the dirt on their roots to make sure there were no nuts in the dirt around their roots and putting them in pots. Then I worked on the patch of nutgrass or nutsedge call it what you want. But every other day I would go out and look and see if there was any sprouting and if there was I would dig down deep so that I could get the nuts along with the root and I used to comb through the dirt diligently.
And when I finally thought I had gotten all of it and replanted my plants back if I found one coming up I would take a q tip and dip it in the nutsedge killer and paint the few leaves that I would see coming up being careful not to get it on my good plants.
It worked and I haven't seen it so far and it has been a couple of years since I've seen it.
By all means when you dig up the nuts put them in the garbage or burning barrel and destroy don't just throw them on the yard they will replant themselves in your lawn.
Jan

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

121e.. If you have never seen any in New Mexico I could send you some.!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.