Reblooming...?

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

My clems are putting out new shoots and blooms...
I have never had this occur - is it because of the weird weather?
Anyone else reblooming?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

A few of mine have done that. Dr. Ruppel has only been out of bloom for a week or two since it began blooming back in May. More buds are present so I guess it is happy.

Henryi slowed down for awhile but has always had at least a few blooms on it this year.

Thumbnail by pirl
brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Its my 'The President' and 'Lime Twist'. My mother also has a purple 'noid' that is doing the same thing.

Enjoy them. Even a new one I was given has a load of buds on it.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I'll have to check to see if any of mine are. As of this summer, they have all bloomed, even those that never bloomed before.

This reblooming thing is interesting as well as plants that I lost this year.... They may be back next year.

I have only one that has grown unbelievably well but has never bloomed, Helsingborg. This has been a heavenly clematis year compared to 2011.

Any astilbe you may think you've lost should return in spring.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi everyone, my Duchess of Albany is reblooming, and so did Crystal Fountain. My
NOID that I believe is some kind of viticella is also reblooming, and I haven't cut it back this year, which i did do last year and got tons of blooms. The Arabellas (I have 4) continue to put up new stems and blooms.

Unfortunately my Patricia Ann Fretwell was weed whacked by the yard guys down to 2 inches in height last week while we were on vacation. I see some new leaves sprouting already from the very short stem that was left. Annette

You must love Arabella! I'll have to check it out. Hurray for the rebloomers.

As I was working in one tight area I pulled on a clematis to get the old growth out of the iron scrollwork and, much to my shock, I removed growth of three clem's. Now Fireworks is a one inch stick, Duchess of Edinburgh (2) is a mass of short brown sticks and Lemon Chiffon fared best, now two sticks at 5" maximum. I gave them all an ES drink and with all the rain we've had I hope I see new growth in the next two weeks.

Good luck with PAF, Annette. I bet it will bounce back. Those edging guys give me grief, too. Either they go too far or don't go far enough and I'm left to tend to the edges with a scissors. In 96 degree heat it's just not fun.

Thumbnail by pirl
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I was reviewing some photos that I uploaded today, and realized that Omoshiro, and Mrs. Cholmondeley also rebloomed for me earlier this summer.

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Here are the Arabellas ;~) blooming today, and they've been blooming all summer, and putting up new stems.

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

The noid and Durandii, also from today. Durandii, is slightly paler that it appears in the photo.

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165

The clematises are loving whatever you're doing for them, Annette. Arabella is so pretty. I might have to break down and buy more clem's. Durandi is startlingly beautiful!

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Arlene, I'm following your recommendations for the ES, composted manure, bone meal , and mulching at planting time. I also planted them with Bayer 3:1 when I put them in to prevent destruction by the Japanese beetles that occurs here in the summer. They got their last dose of ES earlier this month, and are due for another dose this week.

I do believe in all those things you mentioned and my clem's have performed better by using them. The JB's weren't awful this year but I won't question why not.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

I will give mine another dose of ES this week :)
My 'Lime Twist' is shooting like crazy - so dainty (or maybe spindly?) compares to all the others.

Some do look spindly no matter what we do for them. You could try cutting it back and each stem should then form two stems. It's just not an easy thing to do if you spot buds.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

I will take a pic tonight. There are lots of buds on it right now. Lots of flowers too.
It got broken off at the base early this spring and I really wasnt sure if it would come back at all. It was not a good performer for me last year. It is only its 2nd year so I guess I shouldnt be so impatient. :)

It's very difficult to be patient but, in the end, we have no choice. Time does pass...eventually.

The broken stem isn't a problem (as you found it) since it's truly the roots that matter. Last year was the worst year for clematises in all the years I've raised them so it wasn't just your problem.

The third year is the charm with clematises. It's just hard to tout clematises and then tell people, "Just wait three years".

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

year 1 sleep - year 2 creep - year 3 LEAP!! :)

Right! Most of the tiny co-op type clem's take the full three years even though a person may get a few blooms the first and second year. With larger, more established clem's, the second year is heavenly and the third year is great. Brushwood and Garden Crossings are always looking so good in the second year and I'm sure it's the same or better for Silver Star Vinery. "You get what you pay for" is certainly true with clematises.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

I did plant a bunch of seed a couple weeks back. No activity as of yet. Dont think I will get anything from those. 8 different kinds.

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

Mine are n their 3rd round of blooms this summer. This is the first year I have had them. I can't remember the names right off the bat.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.