Is this Asclepias?

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

And if so which one. The second pic is one of the seed pods with a guest who does not seem to want to leave. I'd like to know who he/she is also. The plant flowered earlier in the summer, red flowers. Thanks for any help.

Thumbnail by back40bean Thumbnail by back40bean
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

It is indeed an Asclepias, though I'm not sure which one. The insect in the second photo is a Large Milkweed Bug.

Charleston, SC(Zone 8a)

I did a little browsing to try to ID the Asclepias...but nothing seems a perfect fit. A. syriaca has similar leaves, judging from the photos online, but the color is more pinkish than red. What about A. purpurescens?

The bug eats the seeds in the milkweed pod, so if you are interested in collecting seeds, I would destroy the milkweed bug. On a field trip I shared that bit of info with a fella and he picked the mature looking pod and sure enough not a seed was inside.
If you collect seeds and share, I would be interested in some.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I have A.purpurescens and it does have broad, dark green, glossy leaves like in the photo and multtiple terminal flower clusters. I have never seen A. syriaca display pods as a terminal "cockscomb".

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks, greenthumb99 and JaneJabbour, I think it is probably A. purpurescens. I'll pay closer attention to it next year. Frostkay268, there are seeds in the pods, at least the one I looked in. If you send me a D-mail with a mailing address I'll send you some. Thanks, again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.