hostas in sw ok

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

Are there some hostas that are more heat tolerant than others? I would like to put in a shade garden around my new house and would like to use hostas but on another thread it was suggested that hostas do not tolerate 100 degree temps and low humidity like we have here. any sugestions? Thanks!

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

There is a collector on here that lives in Dallas, TX that grows hostas. She has a website, but can't remember the name. Maybe somebody here will help me out. I know her first name is Sylvia, but can't remember the site's name. I think the key to hosta gardening is water, water, and more water!

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Lots of water will be key. Also, I've heard that some people in warmer climates grow their hostas in pots, since it's easier to maintain the potting medium/soil.

Several hostas perform better than most in the heat, whether because of family history (the fragrant ones) or thicker leaves. Starting there, you get plantaginea, Guacamole, Avocado, Holy Mole, Paradigm, Sun Power, Sum and Substance, and a lot of their sports or offspring.

Personally, I've also had success with some of the skinnier hostas that also have some substance, like The Razor's Edge and Pineapple Poll. I grow those in sun here, which is probably equivalent to your shade down there. The tips can bleach a little, but the plants seem to do fine otherwise.

Last but not least, Undulata Albomarginata is an old hosta that survives better than most in the heat even though it has thin leaves; it won't always look good but will keep coming back. It's also cheap, so you can find some volunteer victims really easy.

1) Sum and Substance
2) Paradigm
3) The Razor's Edge
4) Pineapple Poll
5) Undulata Albomarginata

Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven

thank you for some suggestions!
No pots for me, I kill everything in a pot :( furthermore it seems the pots dry out too rapidly and are too water needy. Maybe I am using the wrong stuff in my pots. I used about half miracle grow potting soil and mixed half fine shredded bark mulch.

Will the hosta live in the pot over the winter? and do they need watered in the winter?

http://www.sissinghurst-hostas.com/about-us.php

this must be it!
I just googled sylvia texas hostas and that's what I found.. Have saved it on my favorites page!

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

I just use potting soil in my pots and I've had really good luck leaving them in pots winter and summer. My minis seem to sink if not in pots from all the mole runs in the beds. I was having trouble with the potting soil that had extra moisture control (more peat moss) in it. So I just went back to the regular potting soil.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.