Scented Geraniums

Ashley Falls, MA

Just wanted to talk to any other scented geranium nuts out there. What do you have? What do you love? My addiction seems to be growing with every new one I get. My most recent, chocolate mint, sends my heart a-fluttering every time I pause to admire it. j.

Ashley Falls, MA

Oh yeah, also meant to ask if there were any good sources anyone knows of for scented geraniums

Wentworth, SD(Zone 4a)

I saw a show on diy or hgtv about scented geraniums and the lady used the leaves to flavor teas and things. Do they each have the flavor or just the smell? I am very interested in these since I saw that show.

Moorestown, NJ(Zone 7b)

I too would love more information about these wonderful plants. I had a couple of sprigs given to me over a year ago........I've made many more rootings from them since. I don't know what kind they are.....they sure have a glorious smell to them! I sometimes put some of the dying leaves in a drawer to fragrance the drawer.

If anyone knows how to fix this problem, I'd be grateful...mine are very "leggy"......but when I cut them back once, I almost killed them. Any suggestions anyone? This is one of the few houseplants I have.......I usually kill most all of them, unless they're herbs. Outdoor plants I can do...indoor plants -- total black thumb!

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Mom24cats: Don't cut them back in the winter, just pinch back the new growth on the main stem. It would be the two new leaves appearing-pinch them off with your fingers or scissors and that will make them bushy. By all means let them summer outdoors either in pots or plant in the ground. They are wonderful in pot pourri's and herbal tea baths. You can add a fresh leave or two to apple jelly and lay fresh leaves flat on a cake pan, then pour the batter over the leaves and bake-they will flavor the cake as it bakes. When the cake is done--take it out of the pan by turning it upside down and remove the leaves. Ice or frost as usual. They retain their aroma so well when dried.

Ashley Falls, MA

Hi all!
I don't know about flavor as I havn't tasted any! But they sure all have the fragrance! I've found that when they get real leggy you can just take off the top growth and start new plants with them. If you can't stand the thought of losing the mother plant you can try planting it more deeply in the soil. I tried this once and it worked. The plant made new roots where it was buried. Good luck...j.

Richmond Hill, GA(Zone 8b)

My source for scented geraniums is Frank! He's a member here at DG.

P2

Montevideo, MN(Zone 4a)

I sure woul LOVE to know this Frank hmmm.....would he by any chance be reading this & happen tp have a leaf cutting or 2....???????
Just wondering....Jen

Moorestown, NJ(Zone 7b)

I guess I need to get these things in bigger pots/and outdoors come spring, as they are just getting too tall. Thanks for all the advice ya'll! The cake recipe sounds scrumptious! Will have to try that one! Thanks!!

I'll bet he does, Jen! He just sent me some in the mail last week. He's my bestest (lol), bestest friend in the whole wide world!!! At the moment, he's probably under about 6 feet of snow and in the midst of a blizzard. He lives in upstate NY. Poor baby! But, what a view he has!!! You should see his house on top of the mountain that overlooks a lake. Wow! Frank, built the house himself, too.

Frank is the best gardener I know. I'm telling you the truth. The man has a green thumb the likes of which I've never seen! If I ever have a question about any kind of plant, I ask Frank. :)

I'll email him this thread. :)

Terri

Richfield Springs, NY(Zone 4a)

I don't know what's deeper, the snow outside or Terri's BS!LOL!! Right now, all I have is a few lemon scented and rose scented geranium cuttings rooted. I need start some of the others. If you want to see a lot of different geraniums go to http://www.davidson-wilson.com

Negaunee, MI(Zone 3b)

I don't have any, YET. I have been reading about them on the herb clubs at yahoo. So count me in as a member of the Geranium fan club. Ohhh, I need a fix... FRANK!!!

Ashley Falls, MA

Thanks for the link Frank! Have you ordered from this company before? I discovered that Richters also has an amazing variety and their prices are a little less... So many choices!!Are there any varieties that are particular favorites of yours to help make the choosing easier?

Thanks!...j.

I get their catalog, so maybe I ordered from them, but I'm not sure. I think, out of all my scented geraniums, my rose is my favorite. I have bought some, for example a coconut scented geranium, that, to me, smell nothing like what they say. I guess if you sniff geraniums all day, for a living, they smell different to the 'trained' nose.

Was that a good job of brown nosing, Frank? Hey, I'm really trying here!!! I figure if I do a real good job, you'll send me some more scented geraniums!!! ROFL

Terri

I know what you're really after, Terri....my backhoe! And you CAN'T have it!!!

LOL Well, you're right of course. I really need that piece of equipment!!! Why don't you drive it down to my house? I'll take REAL good care of it and I promise not to let the "twins" touch it. (cough, snort, giggle) ROFL

West Simsbury, CT(Zone 5a)

Here are some fun herbal teas.. add a little honey and enjoy. Also, those scented geraniums? When you're baking something like a pound cake, something with a mild flavor? Grease the pan and line it with a few of the below mentioned geranium leaves then fill with batter and bake. You'll find a very delicate suggestion of the scented geranium in the cake and it's wonderful.

HERBAL TEAS

Rose Geranium Tea

8 rose geranium leaves (Old fashioned rose geranium leaves (such as Dr. Livingston, or Rober’s lemon rose) ~ rinse and place in small teapot
6 cloves
one tea bag of plain oriental tea unflavored

Pour boiling water over the mixture and let steep in a warm spot fo r15 minutes. Have a pot of hot water available for those who like a milder tea. Sweeten with rose geranium jelly, rose geranium honey, or plain honey.

Another ROSE GERANIUM TEA

For a six-cup tea pot.

Use about 4-6 rose geranium leaves
6 cloves
1” of cinnamon stik
1 sprig about 3” long of fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon or one tea bag of plai orange pekoe tea

Cover with boiling water and steep at least ten minutes.

Rose Geranium Tea with Orange Mint

Use ˝ C of firmly packed orange int leaves, four rose geranium leaves, four cloves and boiling water to fill a 6-cup teapot.

Brew for 15-20 minutes. You may add an oriental tea bag for additional flavor. Sweeten with orange marmalade.

Golden Lemon Balm Tea

In a 6-cup teapot, place one cup of lemon balm leaves. Add 3 slices of lemon rind and one tablespoon of honey. Pour boiling water over all. Fill the pot and let it infuse for 15 minutes. Folklore says this tea is made to “sooth a troubled spirit”.

Spiced Hot Tea Punch

Heat one bottle of red wine until ust below the boiling point. Reduce heat, add 2 long cinnamon sticks and 10 cloves. Infuse 2 1/2 teaspoons of black tea leaves in 3 C boiling water for 5 minutes. Strain over wine. Pour 1 C rum into th ladle. Add 10 sugar cubes. Flame and lower into the punch. Serve while still warm. Be vewy vewy careful.

OH my pretty geraniums on that site is any one starting a co-op on them I see they are pretty cheep let me know. I my self am to new and won't be the one to start it but will order let me know. Deb.

(Zone 5a)

I just found this site so haven't ordered anything but I can tell I'm going to HAVE to have some scented Geraniums whether by trade or purchase! Hopefully trade,lol. Take a look at their neat terra cotta pots.
http://www.nothyme.com/default.cfm

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Here's another web site (my mom sent me the link - thanks, Mom!!!) that has a wide selection of scented geraniums

They have a special running right until 3/25: a collection of five scented geranium plants for about $13. (go to their home page, and near the bottom it has some text that says something like "click here for our specials")

I haven't ordered from them, so I can't tell you anything about the company, but their plants seem interesting.

http://www.papagenos.com/

Riverton, NJ

I have been addicted to growing pelargonium's (scented geraniums) for 22 yrs. I use them in teas, jellys, cakes, puddings, liquors,and body tinctures. The flowers and leaves are edible. My favorites are the Alter of Rose, Gery Lady Plymouth, nutmeg and Robers lemon, i have about 30 types.
I'm glad to find this forum, I'm a refuge of Garden .com and since they have closed **a group of us have been wandering the cyber garden's,,,,,,,,just lost**

Virginia Beach, VA

I too collect pelargoniums (and was a member of Garden.com); and now I feel like I am not alone--I had about 14 new varieties potted up (various scents) from the last two herb sales I hit in April, but wouldn't you know, I had to go and buy more today at the Herb Society's sale!!! These things are so addictive! But so many people are beginning to collect pelargoniums that I featured them in the Spring issue of the newsletter of the Hampton Roads Herb Club. If you would like an electronic copy, please send me a message at herbaldragon@mindspring.com with your email address and request, and I will try to send back ASAP!

This message was edited Monday, May 7th 4:45 PM

Thanks for the nothyme site I ordered these -Lemon Meringue - Lime Scented Geranium -
Orange Geranium - Apple Geranium - Cinnamon Rose.
I can't wait to get them.

Wow I write about those geraniums and they came to my door today. I want to Thank Windsurffer for telling me how healthy her plants were when they arrived.
They smell so good.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

There's an article in this month's Southern Living on scented geraniums - it was helpful to me because it showed several different leaf types....I had no idea how many different types of leaves there were (as well as scents!)

Riverton, NJ

Some of you that have spoken to me,,,,KNOW I'm a scented geranium addict,,,,,,Leaves (nancy) who owns [www.nothyme.com]
has great plants!!
I finally have about 35 types YAHoo!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.