Phlox

Athens, PA

A number of years ago, I planted P. Starfire and P. Franz Shubert rather close together. They have lived together harmoniously for quite some time. I was very surprised this year to see a lighter pink with a darker pink ring growing between the 2 phlox I have had together for quite some time. I don't have any plain pink phlox in my garden, so I have to beleive they have somehow cross polinated and seeded itself. Any other ideas on this?

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Could be cross pollination, but many named cultivars won't come true from seed either, so even if you were just growing one of your cultivars it would be possible to get seedlings that are a different color than the parent. Either way I think it is likely something that came up from seed.

Athens, PA

Ecrane

Thank you so much - I value your opinion.

Carolyn

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

And whatever it's parentage, it's very pretty!

Athens, PA

Thank you. I am actually very happy with my phlox surprise.... ^_^

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Few moths ago I have ordered 4 Phlox named Eva, maybe it is the heat, but they are not doing to well. I have planted them in a sunny area, Is that a problem or it is because they are still young. Maybe I will dig them up and plant them in flower pot for less sun. Etelka

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

My guess is in a hotter climate they'd prefer some afternoon shade, although someone from your area would know that better than I would. It could also be just that they're young plants that didn't have a chance to get established before hot weather hit. If you think the area you have them in will be fine in the long term, for this summer while they're still suffering from transplant shock you could try rigging up some shade to protect them during the heat of the day.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Do you have suggestions for favorite cultivars of Phlox that don't get mildew?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Here are some links for you:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/fletcher/staff/rbir/phloxmildew.html
http://www.uky.edu/Ag/kpn/kpn_03/pn030407.htm (have to scroll almost to the bottom of the page on this one)

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks!

The NCSU site reported the following as being highly mildew resistant:
David
Delta Snow
Natascha
Phlox caroliniana
Robert Poore
Speed LImit 45

The Kentucky site approved everything on the first list, and added:
Blue Boy
Darwin's Joyce
Eden's Crush
Red Magic

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Kiseta, I have Franz Schubert and Flame Pink, growing in different areas. Both get full sun and look fair right now. At least they are both blooming. Neither clump has been in long so I hope for better results in coming years. Being in Decatur (close to the center of the metro area) I miss a lot of the meager amount of rain that falls 'around Atlanta'. And otherwise, as you know, it has been brutal lately with all the heat. If your plants look really stressed you could pot them up now and plant them after the heat breaks in the Fall. Good luck.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Thank you all for help, I am still watering every day, the Phlox is holding on, I guess the pots would be the best solution, that way I can sitt them in sami shade. Etelka

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

My spring planted phlox are blooming
Red Caribbean
Mystique Black

Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Both are lovely, Jo Ann.

Sidney, OH(Zone 6a)

Re Mildew-resistant phlox: Even the most mildew-resistant varieties can succumb to disease in hot, humid weather unless they are cared for religiously. Thinning, spraying for mildew BEFORE it develops, proper fertilization, and watering at the base of the plants helps. But there are no guarantees. Some years they look great, and other years...

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I agree -- but some varieties are definitely tougher. Our David looks great, and I don't do anything to it.

Sidney, OH(Zone 6a)

My David facing east looks great. My David facing south looked like someone sprayed it gray before I finally got tired of messing with it and yanked it.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Oddly enough I had the same experience.Bad mildew on the one plant that get part day shade. None on the full sun one.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Nice placing of that Mystique Black!

I spray my phlox with a baking soda spray in the hose in sprayer in the spring and have little mildew. I hit my monarda and lilacs with it, too.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

thanks polly.Its doing the best of all of the black I have. Others are in more shade.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Polly, am I understand you right..you mix up a baking soda solution and put it in some type of container that will hook up to your hose and spray the monarda, phlox and lilacs? Could one use the container that you put Miracle Gro granules in it, and then attach the hose and spray? How much baking soda do you put in? Why couldn't you add some Ivory liquid to that baking soda and mix it up and attach to that MG bottle that attaches to the hose..that could be used on Roses too, couldn't it for black spot?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi Pippi!

I bought a spray bottle like you use for mixing up chemicals in. That covers a better area than the Miracle Gro one. Like this one

http://www.wayfair.com/Gilmour-Dial-Sprayer-Hose-End-Sprayer-499-OGO1128.html?refid=GX9787705860-OGO1128&gclid=CJC-scLyzLECFYNx4AodwlcAGw

They really spray out, not like the Miracle Gro one that just kind of sprays a stream down.

I just mix up a solution of baking soda and water and put in there. I use it at the rate of one tablespoon per gallon, but I've already mixed it in some water so it gets mixed up more quickly. And yes you could add some Dawn or Ivory to make it stick better.

Athens, PA

Great informaton Polly. I always bought the commercial mildew/fungicide sprays. I like the idea of something a bit more eco friendly and less expensive.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

I will order that tomorrow. Have not seen them locally. I think one could use it for a lot of sprays..

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Lowes carries them, maybe not that brand, but ones like it. About the same price though.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The Mystic Black is blooming

Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836
Athens, PA

Love the color!

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

That is beautiful!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Phlox Orange Perfection
Aureole

Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

My first bloom on the Phlox Eva, I tought it was Pink when I ordered, but I guess not. Happy to see it bloom, maybe next year it will get bigger. I have four of them, very short 8" even after it has been in the gound 4 monts. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I used Mericle-gro on my newbies.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Jo, just wait until next year when they make full flower heads. Something to look forward to after your beautiful lilies are done.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

yeaaaaa.I'll need more plant supports then.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I have never needed plant supports for them.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Just have to mention this.Orange Perfection has great color and really stands out .Its planted here with Salvia Eveline

Thumbnail by ge1836
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

It does go well! Being a purple addict I'm going to put the Evelines I just ordered next to Nikkis.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

That should be stunning.Nikkys are so deep and rich .

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I hope so, that's the only reason I bought the Nikkis.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

hang on a minute;
That should be fabulous.
I get more blooms in the second bloom.
This pix of eveline was from this June,Nikky was Aug 2

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

woops
Here is the collage

Thumbnail by ge1836

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.