HELP!! My Green Mountain Maple Has Been Stripped by My Dog!!

John Day, OR

Just purchased a Green Mountain Maple and haven't had a chance to plant it; it is still in the pot. Just got home from grocery shopping and my dog Libby not only dug in the pot but stripped half of the outer bark off the trunk; all the way from the bottom to the lowest limb on one side! Now, what do I do??? Will it live? Help!

Thumbnail by sburt Thumbnail by sburt
(Zone 7a)

If the tree has had the bark striped all the way around, called girdling, it will not live.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Agreed - that's not good.

This plant will likely die, but as gardeners - hope springs eternal.

I'd go ahead and plant it somewhere. I wouldn't pick a favorite spot, maybe someplace out of the way (neighbor you don't like?) where it won't matter if it struggles. Water and fertilizer, and watch for pest infestations.

Who knew you'd need deer fence to guard against your dog? Make 'im dig the hole for the maple...

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I wouldn't spend the next two or three years hoping for it to live and then have it die anyway. It is very unlikely to survive and if it does, imo it will struggle or be prone to disease down the road.

other, Germany

i would use cut paste, it is a syntetic bark and should be able to protect your tree.

(Zone 7a)

What is 'Cut Paste"? I tried to Google it and didn't find it.

Norridgewock, ME(Zone 5a)

I'm doubtful cut paste would help on damage this severe--it is sold in bonsai stores to use when a limb is trimmed. It just covers the wound, but there is controversy whether covering a wound is a good idea. This bark will never grow back, it will always be severe damage. That said, the tree may live a long time. I agree with the suggestion to plant it a bit out of the way so it won't break your heart every time you see it.

other, Germany

how is your tree doing?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.