Snail damage?

Melbourne, Australia

Hi there,
I'm assuming this is snail damage, but im not entirely sure because i couldn't find any silvery trails (it has been raining alot lately so they have probably washed away). I know the reddening is from the recent cold weather, I actually think it looks quite pretty. But im just looking to confirm the snail theory, could there possibly be more than one pest causing this damage?
How would I treat this problem and how long will it take for my poor sedum to recover?

Thumbnail by livingparadox Thumbnail by livingparadox
Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

It may well be snails, but while in Brisbane at my daughter's home, we found the grasshopper pictured below had decimated her sedum. Perhaps that is what is munching on yours'.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl
BROOKFIELD, Australia

Quote from livingparadox :
Hi there,
I'm assuming this is snail damage, but im not entirely sure because i couldn't find any silvery trails (it has been raining alot lately so they have probably washed away). I know the reddening is from the recent cold weather, I actually think it looks quite pretty. But im just looking to confirm the snail theory, could there possibly be more than one pest causing this damage?
How would I treat this problem and how long will it take for my poor sedum to recover?

I think it is slugs and snails. We have had a lot of trouble with them and they have done this to my succulents. You only have to cut off the effected leaves and the plant will recover but you need to treat with snail pellets - you can catch snails with lids of beer I believe, but not sure if the slugs fall for that. You could possibly spray the leaves with a soapy/garlic spray might deter them? Snails don't wash away! They hide! So do slugs - very resourceful!

BROOKFIELD, Australia

Quote from themoonhowl :
It may well be snails, but while in Brisbane at my daughter's home, we found the grasshopper pictured below had decimated her sedum. Perhaps that is what is munching on yours'.

I have not long returned from living in Qld. These grasshoppers actually do the plants a favour. Not like locusts, which take everything down to the ground, these work on the older leaves of plants. Sadly, on arrival, I used to kill them, but living with them and watching them, you realise they are friends not foes. Their babies are small either green or grey, and you may think of locusts - but I think if you compare photo's - locusts are a different shape. The grasshopper is telling you to cut back your plants - plants live longer without losing leaves in Qld and cutting back keeps the plants healthy.

BROOKFIELD, Australia

Quote from themoonhowl :

This message was edited Jul 23, 2012 7:43 PM

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Slugs also fall for the beer trick (if it's slugs that are causing the problem). When I was growing up we had a strawberry patch in the back yard and slugs were the primary pest, and I remember setting out little dishes of beer for them. Personally I'd probably use Sluggo (or Australian equivalent--anything with iron phosphate as the active). Takes care of the problem without you having to go around and change out the gross little containers of beer + slugs. But especially if you have pets make sure you avoid products with metaldehyde as the active ingredient.

Melbourne, Australia

Thanks very much guys, ill definitely give that a go :)

Sidney, OH(Zone 6a)

It seems odd that slugs would be going after plants that are rather drought tolerant and grow best in dry soil. Grasshoppers, on the other hand, are likely to start munching in drier areas...at least they do in my garden. But if the rain you've had has created a moist environment, slugs are loving your beautiful sedum. I'd go with the iron phosphate.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.