Tamarix not growing

Moscow, PA(Zone 5b)

I bought a Tamarix (summer glow or pink cascade?????) about 4 years ago.It's pretty much the same size and shape it was when planted. I researched their requirements and found drought tolerant, eroded hill sides, sandy loamy soils etc.I planted it in my yard, full sun. I don't know the PH. I dug a hole twice the size and added compost. Nothing!! Maybe a slight hint of pink color in spring but no growth. Any thoughts?

(Zone 7a)

Have you done a scratch test on the stems? That will tell you if it's even alive or not. Other than that, I don't know anything about them.

Moscow, PA(Zone 5b)

It is definitely alive. It turns slightly pink each spring and then to green.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Listed as a noxious weed on a few states invasive/noxious weed lists, you may not want it to grow

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Quote from sugarbell :
I researched their requirements and found drought tolerant, eroded hill sides, sandy loamy soils etc.... I dug a hole twice the size and added compost. Nothing!!

The compost part is what is causing your problem. They need poor soil with sharp drainage and what you are getting is the response to the added compost. Too much of a good thing isn't what this plant wants.

Moscow, PA(Zone 5b)

I don't know if I feel like digging it up and moving it. It's not that big so maybe I will. Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.