I'm a newbie with hostas and have a question

Byron Center, MI

For the last 3 years I have grown hostas. The photo is of one of my five plants. They are planted in the southwest corner of my house under partial shade from a weeping cherry tree. Every Spring they are perfectly beautiful and healthy looking. then, by mid July they start looking like this. Malformed leaves, yellowing of leaves and just generally sickly looking. Can any one suggest what might be possible as causes? Is it this intense heat that we are all having? Is it a lack of a particular type of fertilizer? ANY responses would be VERY mush appredciated! Thank you. Doug

Thumbnail by dwendt
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Probably just getting too much sun.

Charlotte, VT

It could also be too much heat or over-fertilization. I'm a little too over zealous with fertilizer sometimes and I have a hosta that looks very similar.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Likely too much heat and too little water. Water them a lot and it should help for next year.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes, they look fried. I had some hosta in my front bed that received shade from a tree across our street and was a happy camper until the tree got knocked down by a fire truck. Then it got full south facing sun all day. The hosta I had in there fried out directly after this event and i had to dig it up and move it. It is now happy in a shadier spot and I have hosta there now that can withstand more sun. also, we put drip hose in these beds since the tree accident and that keeps them watered better.
Martha

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Don't know much about hostas, but, I am trying to learn. But, I definitely know SUN-SCALD when I see it.

That's what's wrong with your hosta...

Troutdale, OR(Zone 8a)

I am with them to much heat. If its in a container make sure you check for dryness and make sure you keep it moist. And don't over water also:)

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Since we live in the same area and I have a lot of hostas, in the shade for most of the day, I would say that you need to give them more shade and water. Last summer mine showed stress from the heat alone, wo more water. I fertilize at half strength.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.