Your toughest survivers in this heat.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

This morning I have been watering my flowers and I noticed that a few of my flowers have not suffered with this heat. I am growing some Red Salvia from seed, also blue daze and some of the short zinnias are happy. The tall zinnias have dried leaves on bottoms, I have cut some down, hoping to make them bush out. Also purple angelonia, it is bushing out and will bloom till frost. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta
Barberton, OH

Day lilies, red-hot poker and Blackberry Lily for me.

Thumbnail by salix_man Thumbnail by salix_man
Barberton, OH

OOps, wrong pic. Yes, the Brugmansias survive the heat, but with lots of water every day..
This is Karen Sue only watered by infrequent rain.

Thumbnail by salix_man
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Only reason my coleus survived, I have water them every day. Also Penta is doing good to, after I have deheaded them, started blooming again. I have 2 different shades of the, they like to grow in a container.

Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta
Brewster, MN(Zone 4b)

Minnesota is suffering the worst drought since 1956. We see little rains go North and South of here but we remain dry. I water the perennials, the annuals are on their own. So far the snaps, stocks and the petunias that are in the ground are holding their own. There is an annual (here) penstemon that seems to love being dry. If our summers are going to be so dry in the future I'll have to rethink what I plant and work with the weather we get. Its hard to whine about flowers, though, when the crops are suffering so.

Barberton, OH

My Verbena bonariensis bloomed great earlier. I cut it back and have been rewarded with this display. I have not watered it all Summer.
Herman

Thumbnail by salix_man
Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

I miss our verbena bonariensis...haven't seen it in a few years - not necessarily due to drought though. I'll have to try planting more. Here in South Jersey, one of our toughest survivors/drought tolerant plants has been Rosemary herb. I'm going to harvest a huge batch very soon. It is doing really well.

Barberton, OH

Here is another plant that did well this year. Snake root, Eupatorium rugosum. Its really a roadside weed, but I have had this plant for a few years. I dead head before the seeds mature so it behaves. I also cut it back early to make it branch more. I did water the alpine strawberries at the base, but not as much as I should have.
Herman

Thumbnail by salix_man
Barberton, OH

A few survivors keeping the yard pretty. Verbena, Sedum and Anemone
Herman

Thumbnail by salix_man

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.