What would carry ears of sweet corn up into a tree??

Coal City, IN

My parents have been gardening for over 70 years and have never seen anything like this. Overnight, something is taking whole ears of sweet corn from their garden up into a large maple tree and eating every kernel of corn from them and leaving the stripped cobs in a crotch of the tree or dropped at the base of the tree. Anyone know what animal might be the culprit?

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Squirrel, Opossum, or Racoon are the only logical choices I can think of.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

in Indiana, I would say coons first second and third with possum fourth and squirrels arent that neat but fifth. You guys are lo on moisture and that supplies liquads to thirstty animals...

Coal City, IN

Typically, raccoons just go through the patch eating several bites from an ear and moving to the next ear and so on. That is why they do not think it is raccoons.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Possums used to grab our chickens, they would bite thru the neck and leave us the head- never found the rest of the chicken, nor how they would get into the cage, if a coon or possum is threatened, they take to the trees especially if they feel exposed...our squirrels last year couldn't take doin without moisture-you would find them dead in the trails, draped across tree limbs, but I can believe they would also take to the trees if they could with an ear of corn instead of just a mouthful at a time...

Sidney, OH(Zone 6a)

My bet is with the raccoons. We see them climb trees, fences, and trellises quite frequently. They even climbed up a 10-foot pole and threw one of our heavy bird feeders down to the ground. Now we keep the lower part of the pole greased with a mixture of Vaseline and cayenne pepper. The farmers in our area say they've never had such a huge problem with raccoons before. The drought is a major factor.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.