ANTS, ANTS, & MORE ANTS........Pls help

Howard City, MI(Zone 5b)

We have a HUGE problem with ants this year. I keep thinking they are going to carry our house away. We have a lot of the big black ants, the tiny brown ants, and the black/red ants.

We have a dog so we have to be careful on our treatment choices. I have used a few of the Bayer products that are for "complete insect killer" and one specifically for ants. Also tried using Sevens spray.

Does anyone have any effective products that are safe for yards with pets AND that will get rid of these horrible insects? PLEAAAASSSSEEEE HELP!!!!!!!!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Terro ant baits are boric acid based and much safer than a lot of the other options. They will work on any sweet-loving ants, but they're most useful if the ants are getting into the house--you'd have to use an awful lot of them to bait the yard. For treating a larger area you might try Spinosad--it's a biological control and while I wouldn't let the dog drink it I think it would be a lot safer than the stuff you've been using. I'm not sure if it works on all ants or only certain ones. You can buy it in a hose-end sprayer for easy application over a large area.

Canyon Lake, TX(Zone 9b)

I feed my ants GRITS, They take them home, and all of a sudden, they are gone. I do not know where they go, as long as it is away from me and my plants! Krispi

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I've heard of that too--I think what happens is the grits swell up after they eat them and that kills them.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

hmmmph, have to see if I am feeding em or killing em, buts grits I will try

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.