Laie, HI

Having a real problem lately with ants in my pot plants. Any ideas on how to get rid of them without anything too toxic? They do not seem to be hurting the plants but I do like to sell a few plants and I am sure the buyer does not want to get a free ant nest included. thanks

noonamah, Australia

If you sit the pots in water for a while the ants will move out.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

They hate cafeinee too if I remember right. Pouring weak coffee or tea in your soil a couple times a week should kill the ants or other bugs that might be in the pot.

Laie, HI

Thanks for the suggestions......I will try the water first because it is cheaper than coffee. :o)

noonamah, Australia

It could also make them a bit hyper and end up tunnelling out all your other pots ;o)

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Quite by accident I discovered they have a great disdain for fresh mint. For the last two years I have been growing mint in all of my pots as they were taking over. Had trouble with them coming along the window sill and onto my desk. Tried everything. Finally cut some fresh mint and laid it in their path....they are gone. In Texas the only thing that outnumbers mosquitos are ants.

Laie, HI

Interesting on the mint LouC....will have to try that out. I tried sitting the pot plants in a bucket of water for 24 hours....when I drained the plant ....out marched all the ants with their eggs still in tact. So I guess they are undrownable. Maybe I will have to add a bit of coffee ....or ant spray.

noonamah, Australia

There are air pockets in amongst the soil and roots in a pot. Some ants wait for the floods to recede but if it happens a few times they pack up and move. Just need to watch out where they move to next.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

If you set the pot in a larger container, you can slowly raise the water level in the large container. If you give them some kind of bridge, they will pack up and move out. Do this away from the place the pot was located, and wash down the area to remove their pheremone trail, or they will find their way back.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.