Identify this marauding weed?

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

My wife pointed out that a weed had invaded a bed I had been neglecting and was crowding out the helianthus and salvias I had planted there several years before. I took a look, and it was indeed a jungle of 5 to 6 ft tall plants spreading from shallow roots. I could pull out the smaller ones, but am going to have to excavate the ones with 5/8" thick stems.

There is a picture of a sample below. It has alternate leaves, mostly 5-lobed, green on top and silvery green on the bottom. Straight stems to 5+ feet tall, no sign of branching, and no apparent flowers or even buds by July.

I'm going to memorize the leaves, since I have no doubt it will pop up again, but can anyone guess its identity just to satisfy my curiosity?

Thumbnail by DonShirer
Thomaston, CT

It is all over my garden....I think I first found it about 5 years ago...a real pest!

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I think that's a Mugwort (Artemisia sp.).

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/205334/

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yep agree Mugwort

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Yes, some of the other PlantFiles pictures show the deep lobing of the leaves. I liked the alternate name, "Felon Herb", and some of the PF comments are quite graphic!

Thanks for the quick response. Now I'll know to pull this up as soon as it appears.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Have lots of it here too.

Mid-Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5b)

This monster has taken over a garden at school. So far we've been unable to erradicate it.

All Weeds have a mind of their own. I dont like them.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I had them at the base of our downspout, every year pulling that stuff out...I planted a garden there and now it's not a problem....weird

That and wild grapes are my biggest problems this year - aside from my kids.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I have that weed, too. The bad part is that I can't eat it. Anyone ever cook Poke weed?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I think they do in the south, but have to cook it correctly or it'll kill you(or at least make you very sick!)

Not worth it in my book unless I was starving.

Thomaston, CT

I wouldn't take a chance....lettuce is good....

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Its Mugwort. ID'd for me 3 years ago.

So that makes the photo a mugshot??

Thomaston, CT

Yep!

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Groan...
...and cultivated only by muggles and mugwumps?

Worcester, MA

Did you notice the color of the roots? Are they red (ish)?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.