Bananas!

Chino Valley, AZ

Bananas are a wonder food. I wait until my supermarket sells them as over-ripe. They are NOT really over-ripe, just the peels start getting some brown spots, and sometimes have a few bruises. Inside, the banana is ripe-just-right. And the store sells them for $.29 lb compared to $1.29 lb. I just bought 50 lbs! Put in the refridgerator to stop ripening. What to do with all these bananas?
There is the usual: banana bread, combine w zuchinni from the garden for banana-zuchinni bread. Can also make pancakes.
But wait! There's more!
2. Peel and cut into 1 inch pieces, spread on cookie sheet and freeze. Load into freezer bags. Put frozen chunks into blender or f-processor, whiz w a little milk and you have ice cream. And it is good! Sweet, no need to add sugar. The banana flavor is very mild when frozen. Add a few strawberries. Can add cocoa to make chocolate.
3. Banana shakes.... really good.
4. Blend up w some vanilla, add some chocolate chips and make popsicles. Also good.
5. Slice thin, dip in lemon juice, and dehydrate. This concentrates the sweet; it's like candy.
6. Dry peels and crumble up to add/stretch the chicken food.
7. Place a peel on the ground around a plant that needs more potasium.
I'm sure there are more uses, these are the ones I use.
Linda

This thread has 15 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!