Clematis Question

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

With the high winds we've had, the trellis I had my Celmatis on blew down. I don't know if I can get it back up with the plant on it. Is it OK to prune it down, so I can get it off the trellis, or is it better to try to get it back up with the plant intact? The Clematis is about 10 years old and very woody at the base, I don't want to upset it. The trellis went from the ground up to just under the eaves and is completely covered with vines. Any ideas???

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

A lady in our town that raises a lot of clematis says that she cuts her plants back to knee high every fall. Said that makes more shoots come up from the ground. Her plants are beautiful. I do know that there are some plants that recommended cutting is every two years, but I have five different kinds and cut them all back each fall and they always do well the next year. Plenty of growth and lots of bloom. Something else this lady says is that one good dose, each spring, of "Up Start" or other product usually used just at planting time, will give larger blooms. I have tried this and believe she is right.

Hope this helps.
Shirley

This message was edited Sunday, Apr 7th 11:45 AM

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

momcat, do you know the name of the clematis? this helps...I live in zone 8 and cut back my clematis to around 6" high..It has worked for me in the past and I tend to think this truly rejuvenates the vine..there are so many pros and cons to this vine..we could write another book. good luck..it doesn't hurt the vine as it was always have a good root network! Elaine

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.