Perennial Gardens in drought

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Its been a short season here.I cant believe I am cutting back catmints and salvias in mid July.
These are images of garden scenes.Too few blooms to pix
http://smilebox.com/playBlog/4d7a49304f4463774e546b3d0d0a&blogview=true

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

Very nice photos and the music really added a nice touch!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have been a avid fan of Deer repellent Liquid Fence. I am down to spraying every 2 weeks.I sprayed a few nights ago but the deer got tomatoes,pole beans,fall asters,lily buds.
I believe in drought like ours there is so little or no browse for them they eat anything whether it stinks or not.

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

The drought explains the deer's sudden interest in my gardens! I've seen occasional chunks out of a hosta here and there in years past, but assumed there was so much available in all the open land around here they couldn't be bothered with my goodies, just took the odd nibble while passing through. Last week for the first time, they clearly hung out here and had a good meal. They got phlox and lily buds and decimated huge hosta clumps, in several different areas.

So last week I searched out the Liquid Fence I bought 5 years ago and only used once, and sprayed their favorites liberally. I'll try to be diligent for the rest of the summer in hopes that they can be deterred from making this place their favorite new restaurant!

I've been told they get used to products after a while so that they don't work any more... Have you tried switching to another brand to see if that stops them?

Good luck to both of us!

Pam

Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Their destruction of plants is so upsetting to those of us who love our gardens. Last night, at dinner time, a doe was standing in front of our house. Generally they feed during the night but they must be desperate this year. They devour all rose buds, some sedums, hollyhock leaves and buds of lilies, along with daylily buds and hostas (of course).

Pam - you can switch off to Deer Off if needed. If you spot that they're feeding on your plants, despite the Liquid Fence, switch for a few weeks.

Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I agree about the switching. I bought such a large container of LF this spring I just hoped for good luck. I also use Repellsall.Too lazy to go to the garden center for a new smell for them.

Dearborn, MI(Zone 5b)

All too familiar--but since they've already eaten most of the flowers off the roses, lilies, daylilies and hosta, the deer here have now turned to phlox. I switch between RepelsAll and Liquid Fence. It may slow them down, but it doesn't stop them.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Its a measure of how bad their food suply is.

Mine got most of my phlox buds in the first go-round.

This is the first year they haven't bothered the phlox...yet. It's just a matter of time. They do not bother with any of the iris family nor the herbs so that is good news.

They only eat the iris buds and flowers in my experience. Same with astilbe. Hmph!!

I heard today that at my late mother's (rented) house in Southampton they came up to the deck when someone was sitting out there. I know from what they've eaten that the normally come right up on the deck. I bet that within 3 days they'll be up ere whether someone's sitting there or not. Grrrrrrrrr.....

They haven't eaten any buds from irises here. None with astilbe either. The young ones will nibble on hydangea leaves.

What nerve! Saw two at the side of the road, dead, while on our way into Riverhead today. It's hard to feel sorry for them.

Shame to waste the food, though- I looooove venison!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

In Wisconsin ,if you hit a deer and call state troopers right away.They come and mark it so the cleaning crews can dress it and the meat goes to the community food cupboard.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.